Author Topic: UE 4.5.1 crashing while importing SBSAR file  (Read 3518 times)

Running UE 4.5.1 and Substance Designer 4.5.2.

Two scenarios.  Last night I exported a package that was not optimized and had various exposed parameters, etc.  It wound up being 72mb and imports into UE (even now still) and works beautifully.

I exposed a few more parameters, grouped some, set the base Parameter for the graph to be relative to parent, and adjusted the nodes appropriately so the relative to parent now works fine (according to the output node size numbers), and lastly set JPG compression for various maps.  When I save and export, much lower file size, 12mb.  When I attempt to import this SBSAR file identically how the other was, it crashes every single time.

Are there any things that I possibly could have accidently set that has made this unstable?

Running UE 4.5.1 and Substance Designer 4.5.2.

Two scenarios.  Last night I exported a package that was not optimized and had various exposed parameters, etc.  It wound up being 72mb and imports into UE (even now still) and works beautifully.

I exposed a few more parameters, grouped some, set the base Parameter for the graph to be relative to parent, and adjusted the nodes appropriately so the relative to parent now works fine (according to the output node size numbers), and lastly set JPG compression for various maps.  When I save and export, much lower file size, 12mb.  When I attempt to import this SBSAR file identically how the other was, it crashes every single time.

Are there any things that I possibly could have accidently set that has made this unstable?

Hi,

No, it sounds like what you did is correct and the best methods for creating the sbsar for UE4. It could be the parameters that you exposed. Perhaps the parameter is a data type that is not handled correctly in the plugin. Are the new parameters the same types of the parameters from before?

Can you un-expose the new properties and then see if it crashes? If no crash, perhaps you can look at each new property to see if one in particular causes the crash.

Grouping should  not be an issue as well. I have used groups, so I'm thinking it could be a parameter.

Can you send me the sbs package?

Cheers,

Wes

Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

I am exposing some boolean parameters and just some typical float parameters.  Sure, I can send it along.  Would it be ok for me to dropbox link to an email?

I am exposing some boolean parameters and just some typical float parameters.  Sure, I can send it along.  Would it be ok for me to dropbox link to an email?

It looks like the issue is that the cropping area which is driven by the boolean parameter can't be dynamic, so its getting removed in the cooked sbsar file. The devs are double checking on this. I think if you un-expose the cropping it will then no longer crash with UE4.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Sorry for delayed response. 

When you say cropping area, what exactly do you mean?  If the cropping area is the issue, then the exposed boolean parameter will not really work?

I can remove those if needed, just would be nice to be able to toggle dynamically.

Thanks Wes!

Bryant

I just removed all exposed parameters/input parameters and deleted the boolean material options and resaved, published and attempted to import with the same crashing. 

I did update to 4.6 and downloaded the latest UE4 plugin from the site.

I'll continue to test and see if I cannot find out whats going on with this.

-Bryant

Hi funwithayoyo,

Feel free to email it to me at josh.coyne@allegorithmic.com . Even if you find a solution that works, in my opinion a substance should crash exactly 0% of the time :)

So email me the broken substance if you could and in the mean time see if you can find a workaround while I try to fix the issue/

Sorry for delayed response. 

When you say cropping area, what exactly do you mean?  If the cropping area is the issue, then the exposed boolean parameter will not really work?

I can remove those if needed, just would be nice to be able to toggle dynamically.

Thanks Wes!

Bryant

Hi Bryant,

It was the cropping area on the blend node. This area can't be made dynamic so on publish, the cooker is removing the property which it driven by the boolean. Perhaps what you can do is to have one blend node with the cropping and one blend without. Then, blend those two together with a blend that uses the switch mode. You can then have your boolean value drive the switch so that it basically routes the graph to the version with the crop or the version without the crop.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com