Author Topic: Substance in 3ds Max - Corona Renderer  (Read 832 times)

I'll take a look. Not much has changed, so that is odd.
Software Engineer, Integrations
Maya, 3ds Max and Core Libraries

Max crashes consistently after render denoising

After REMOVING all substance files from the scene, rendering completes successfully with no crash


Video documenting the issue and multiple troubleshooting steps to address the issue. Video shows that removing all substances (.sbsar) from the scene resolves the issue. Watch x1.5-2.0 speed.




Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 11:13:54 pm

If you skip post-render denoising, the following error messages appear, and prevents the crash sometimes:

error messages
Last Edit: June 13, 2020, 08:03:02 am

Since the 2.3.4 release is completed, I'll investigate this for a separate 2.3.5 release.
Software Engineer, Integrations
Maya, 3ds Max and Core Libraries

Sounds good, I'll report back here if any of these issues are resolved 2.3.4

The issues persist unchanged in 2.3.4

Any updates on this? I can provide an example project if necessary.
Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 10:01:49 am

Additionally, it appears that the Substance 'Bake Outputs' option is definitely applying a gamma correction internally, such that the resultant baked maps require a 0.45 gamma adjustment, post hoc.

This has been reported many times in the past - at least over a year ago, perhaps even earlier. Can you comment on why this might still be the case? Can you confirm that this will be addressed in the next release?

The image writing goes through 3ds Max's API, I would have to see if that can be instructed on application of a curve. This has not changed since release I think, so it has likely been in there since 2.0.0.

It will not be addressed in the next release, the 2.4.0 update is already almost completed, and should be released after the Adobe shutdown, where all employees are off. Some releases have planned content, and anything beyond will go into a further release beyond that. The next release is one of those.

It can be added for an update after that, but there is no point delaying releases already in the pipe to address it, when that could be released to address other issues.
Last Edit: June 28, 2020, 04:53:04 pm
Software Engineer, Integrations
Maya, 3ds Max and Core Libraries

Any updates on this? I can provide an example project if necessary.

If you can send one, that would be helpful to address it quicker.
Software Engineer, Integrations
Maya, 3ds Max and Core Libraries

Galen, I sent you an email with a download link to the example project