Author Topic: [SOLVED] 2020.1.2 Bug  (Read 661 times)

A Substance Designer process keeps spinning in the background AFTER the application has been closed(?)

As an aside, I'm sort of dubious about whether the update cadence for SD needs to be so frequent - it seems like there is a minor update at least once a week(?)

Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 04:19:08 pm

Hello,

It is possible a process stays in the background after closing Substance Designer if the software was stopped while a complex graph was being rendered. In that case, the background task is that rendering process, which will close itself once it is complete. We do our best to mitigate this behaviour as much as possible.
This is much more likely to happen if the temporary images generated while rendering fill out the system's memory pool, and the excess data needs to be written on the pagefile (i.e. on disk). This extends the rendering time exponentially.

Regarding the update cadence, version 10.1.1 (2020.1.1) was published the day after version 10.1.0, as a fix to a critical issue was implemented following multiple crash reports from early users of version 10.1.0.
This is very rare and we have returned to the regular update rate.

Best regards.
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team

Thank you Luca for the detailed response, that is very helpful +1

Yes, in this case, the graph contained very high res / high DPI scan data (>16k) and the description you've provided is consistent with that behavior. I'm not sure there is a workaround for this, other than to avoid rendering graphs that might reasonably exceed system virtual memory.

Hello,

Indeed, high resolution scan data is prone to fill out the system memory pretty quickly.

Graph rendering uses uncompressed, full resolution images. A 16k high-precision RGBA bitmap can have a memory footprint of 1 GB on its own!
One thing which can lower the memory footprint is to split the main graph into subgraphs and instantiate those back into the main graph. In those cases, only the subgraph instance output is kept in memory once it is fully rendered.

This and other recommendations to improve the performance of graphs can be found in this page of Substance Designer's documentation.

Feel free to ask if you have further questions.

Best regards.
QA Analyst
Substance Designer Team