Author Topic: Metal Rough to Spec Gloss (Vray)  (Read 1408 times)

I apologize in advance if I am just making this issue more complicated than it is but I have been trying to wrap my head around the I thought simple task of adapting my metal rough shaders to vray.

Disclaimer: In the example for this post I use a fresh substance painter scene with the default material and just adding a fill layer. Plus the addition of more texture channels.

While vray supports metallic and roughness maps I still need to input a value/color for specular in order to make the material reflective at all.
Usually when use the export preset "prb to spec gloss" my objects appear to be less reflective than they are in the substance painter viewport.

This is pretty much mirrors the behavior if I switch between the pbr metal rough / vray spec gloss / vray metal rough shaders in painter. When using a fresh scene with default values the pbr metal rough shader will be the most reflective.

When exporting the material to a spec gloss workflow I get a dark grey specular map that I then plug into my vray mat with an vray hdri loader and set it to "Inverse Gamma". Which results like already mentioned in an almost dull looking material.

The only way to get a similar looking reflection value is by unplugging the map and using almost white as (255,255,255) as my specular color.

Overall it isn't that much of a hassle to adjust the specular color myself since it is just 1 value per material.
But still I'd like to know if I am doing something completely wrong.

I am running into a "similar", though perhaps inverse, problem with the new metallic maps out of Painter to be plugged into the metallic slot in the VrayMtl in Maya.  I have dulled the reflection of most of my metal objects in Painter (for a sense of age), but when I plug in the (very white) metallic maps that are generated using the Vray template, it makes all the metals appear incredibly reflective when rendered in V-ray.

I am tempted to go back a few versions in Painter and re-use the old workflow with the reflection glossiness and IOR maps, etc. but that would mean also going back in Vray versions as well.

Am I doing something wrong?  Why are the metallic maps of metals coming out pure white from Painter, if -- in Painter -- I am dulling their reflectivity by increasing roughness, etc...

When I decrease the exposure of these maps in Photoshop, I can get close to what I had in Painter, but not exactly and that can add to a time-consuming process.