Author Topic: Die Cast Toy  (Read 3563 times)

I recently finished this little robot all textured in Substance Painter the modelling was done in Blender. You can see more renders here: http://www.artstation.com/artist/MarkBTomlinson
Freelance 3d Artist Modo Substance
Mark TomlinsonMarkBTomlinson - Substance Tools Group

Great job!

Cheers

Oh man delicious. All model kickass.
Done in Blender? Is that possible? I can not export it into Substance yet..

Done in Blender? Is that possible? I can not export it into Substance yet..

What do you mean ? Designer can't read .blend files, but you can export .fbx or .obj files from Blender and read them in Designer, can't you ?

yes - but there are issues with scaling, smoothing-groups hard/soft edges... only .dae export works, last time I checked ... using 3DC for sculpting, now ...

yes - but there are issues with scaling, smoothing-groups hard/soft edges... only .dae export works, last time I checked ... using 3DC for sculpting, now ...

What do you exactly mean with this?

I model in Blender and have done about 4 models with SP using fbx. Smoothing seems to work fine with the fbx exporter.

On simple props I use the Bevel and Subsurf modifiers, export the low poly with "Apply modifiers" off and then the high poly, export with apply on. Only need one model in this case, works nice.

Make all the maps in SD and things work great in SP.

Mike
Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 03:03:17 pm

Thanks guys, and yes modelled in Blender. I export two meshes as FBX one high poly and the other the Low Poly you see here. The normals curvature position etc. are generated in Substance Designer and imported into Substance Painter. The final render is done in Marmoset Toolbag 2. I haven't got around to importing textures back to Blender but it shouldn't be too hard if you use a spec gloss workflow.
Freelance 3d Artist Modo Substance
Mark TomlinsonMarkBTomlinson - Substance Tools Group

What do you exactly mean with this?

I model in Blender and have done about 4 models with SP using fbx. Smoothing seems to work fine with the fbx exporter.

On simple props I use the Bevel and Subsurf modifiers, export the low poly with "Apply modifiers" off and then the high poly, export with apply on. Only need one model in this case, works nice.

Make all the maps in SD and things work great in SP.

Mike

I mean:http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php/topic,1676.msg7390.html#msg7390

Cheers!

Huh,

I use Blender all the time and only have had this problem is smoothing or normals face the wrong way.

This is a low to high poly assets I did just yesterday for testing this very thing and my workflow with Blender and SD/SP.

I WAS lazy and just used smoothing on the whole object as you can see in the large faces, there are a couple other random things from just sloppy modeling but it is crisp in SP/SD and imported into Unity.

EIDT: There is also a bevel modifier on the whole model.

Mike

For me, it did not worked right, back then...

Guess there was also broken fbx export and so on.
Version 2.69 was the last, I tried - and got problems, as you can tell from the 2nd page of the thread, I linked.

I switched to 3D Coat and use Modo on and off.
Kind of done with blender ...

Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 07:36:15 pm