Author Topic: Substance Plug-in not working in Maya 2019.1  (Read 402 times)

Hello

So I've read through this and tried all steps:
https://forum.substance3d.com/index.php?topic=25762.0

the substance installer.exe automatically installs to my X drive since that is my main drive

Now I've tried editing the .mod file located here:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Modules\Maya\2019

And have saved over the .mod file to look like this:
+ PLATFORM:win64 substance 1.4.1-7b007d3 X:\Allegorithmic\SubstanceMaya\2019
PATH +:= bin
SUBSTANCE_PLUG_IN_PATH:=bin
SUBSTANCES_LOCATION:=substances

This did not work
I've edited my default install directory to the C drive and tried multiple ways including command line for this .exe installer to install to the C directory and none of this works. It always installs to the X drive and editing the .mod file doesnt help

I've tried manually loading the substance.mll plugin in maya. this also doesnt work

I'm at my wits end

Please help

There may be a substance.mod file located still in the Maya install directory, you can check the install directory of Maya 2019, in the modules folder. Maya will end up loading that one first, and it will then not recognize the module file in the Common Files directory.

The 1.4.1 series will receive no more releases, it is unsupported in favor of the 2.0 series, which the most recent version is 2.1.1. The new plugin can handle loading and converting old scenes, there are utilities to convert the old Substance nodes to the new one.
Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 10:03:32 pm
Software Engineer, Integrations
Maya, 3ds Max and Core Libraries

It is also possible that Maya, if X is the default drive, looks elsewhere than C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Modules\Maya\2019, such as X:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Modules\Maya\2019

You can check this by running
getenv MAYA_MODULE_PATH
in the Maya script editor. If it is different than where the substance.mod file is placed, then you will need to move that file to one of the folders in the list that you get from this command.

You will also need to make sure the plugin is loaded in the Maya plugin manager, Maya will not automatically load all plugins it detects.
Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 10:42:41 pm

alright I ran
getenv MAYA_MODULE_PATH
and got this:

// X:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2019/modules;M:/LIBRARIES/Documents/maya/2019/modules;M:/LIBRARIES/Documents/maya/modules;X:/Program Files/Common Files/Autodesk Shared/Modules/maya/2019 //

I got the 2.1.1 installer and edited the .mod file as such:
"+ PLATFORM:win64 substance2 2.1.1 X:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance in Maya\2019
PATH+:=lib

+ PLATFORM:linux substance2 2.1.1 /opt/Allegorithmic/Substance_in_Maya/2019
PATH+:=lib

+ PLATFORM:mac substance2 2.1.1 /Applications/Substance in Maya/2019"

I thereafter copied that modified .mod to 3 locations:
X:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2019
X:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Modules\Maya\2019
X:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance in Maya\2019

This was probably overkill and not sure which one ultimately did it,
but it is now working!

Big challenge. Hopefully in future, installers will include manually specifying installation directory. I wasn't able to do this with any overrides and wasn't sure how to edit the .exe file

Anyway
Thank you so much Galen

We should be able to make it so that you can specify the directory, but it's a difficult question of UX there. When installing it elsewhere, the .mod file must be edited, as it is just installed, not generated. Making it too easy to change that and have the install not work for most people, especially those not interesting in messing with configuration files, makes it less than simple.

Running the executable on command line with the /DIR="C\test" or wherever you want will make it display the window to choose a location.

We can edit it to place the mod file smarter, such as recognize it needs to go to X:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Modules\Maya\2019 if the system is configured that way vs always C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Modules\Maya\2019
Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 12:59:25 am

/DIR="C\test"

is a great suggestion. having that window helps and something I was looking for

all great and direct answer advice

Thank you