Author Topic: Python - Access to layers, importing and assigning resources?  (Read 423 times)

Hi guys,

first of all thanks a lot for implementing a Python API! Very much appreciated!

But I wondered about a few things:

1) When will we be able to actually have access to layers like creating, editing and removing layers?

2) When will we be able to import resources and ultimately assign them to layers? (To be honest this issue exists for a VERY long time already, as you can see in this thread. Not sure if it has been solved on the JavaScript side already)

As I said I am really happy that Python is finally supported. But the possibilities are very limited at the moment.
Or did I miss something important?

Sincerely,
tom
Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 08:27:36 am

Editing the layer stack will come in the future, but we don't have an ETA.
Our goal is to make the Python API on par with the Javascript one first, once this is done we will extend the Python API further. Assigning resources to layers is the same as editing the layer stack.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Could you give this priority please. I think a lot of people are waiting for this for a very long time now, including me. I stumbled up on multiple threads here on the forum so I assume there are even more people needing this since not everybody is asking for it (again). :D

Thanks for answering Froyok!
Glad to hear that this appears on your roadmap. I can understand that it takes time.

Nonetheless I started a Voting here to eventually push priority a bit:
http://feedback.substance3d.com/forums/261284-substance-painter/suggestions/41257219-python-api-access-to-layers

So everybody feel free to vote at the link above.