Author Topic: New to the system of Substance Painter  (Read 3869 times)

Hi guys! New here with some basic questions. Do I have to have a normal map baked in order to use it in SP or can I import just the usual UV map from let´s say Modo? Im modeling a Flamethrower which I want to texture with metal, leaks, flame traces, wear and so on. What kind of maps should I be producing to import in SP? Im all new to this so please, keep it simple. Also, what should I be looking at while trying to generate these maps from Modo TO SP? Any tips? I would really be grateful if someone could help me with this so I can start using this interesting software. 

Thanks!:)

I'm not using Modo. But you don't have to create any map at all if you don't want to. The only thing SP demands is a working mesh and a correct UV-mapping - and then you're ready to go :)

But if you want to use some of the effects (like edge wear etc) I think you must have a Ambient Occlusion map and a Curviture map.

Hi guys! New here with some basic questions. Do I have to have a normal map baked in order to use it in SP or can I import just the usual UV map from let´s say Modo? Im modeling a Flamethrower which I want to texture with metal, leaks, flame traces, wear and so on. What kind of maps should I be producing to import in SP? Im all new to this so please, keep it simple. Also, what should I be looking at while trying to generate these maps from Modo TO SP? Any tips? I would really be grateful if someone could help me with this so I can start using this interesting software. 

Thanks!:)

Hello,

Welcome to Substance Painter!

Your mesh needs to have a UV map. If you want to create weathering effects using Substance Effects, you will need to have a curvature, ambient occlusion and or position map.

This video shows how the substance effects work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytTpx4gf0t0&list=PLB0wXHrWAmCyJEDZLLQvusBxDbskFmh9K&index=5
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Great, thanks! I´ll do just that. THe problem is that Modo does not support PBR. There is a possibility but Im told the setup is really advanced class. I hope I´ll find a way. Thanks again. I also watched the video. Its informative, great.
Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:37:34 pm

I have another question. Its basic but I think its important. Especially for beginners. Can I shade it in Modo and then use effects in SP and then export it back to Modo?:) Do I export a diffuse map? I´ll do some research but I wanted to know this.

Yes you can do that, but you will have to know how to setup modo's material.
It all depends how which maps you will use (specular/gloss or metal/rough): both are possible, but I suggest to export specular/glossiness maps to be used in modo.

After that, just setup the modo's material this way:
1) You can set the specular to zero, and let the reflection doing everything.
2) Activate Blurred reflections, and set the rays to a big amount, like 512 or 1024.
3) leave the fresnel amount to 100%
4) feed the specular map in the reflection channel

Hope that helps :)

I am trying to import a character mesh that I exported from Poser Pro.  He has a UV map, but as far as his textures go, I just have a flat png texture atlas.  When I open the fbx into Substance Painter, I don't get the textures wrapped around the character.  What do I have to do to import the character's textures as a base layer for Substance Painter?

When I import the same fbx file into UE4, it creates materials for me out of the texture atlas.  Can I do something like that in SP?

You will have to import the textures separately in the shelf window.
Then create a Fill layer on your mesh and drag and drop your textures in the right slots to create a base materials for your character.

Mario, thanks alot for your message. Great stuff. Im sort of behind on all the settings so it did help. So if I have different texture sets how do I combine them later when exporting channels? Do I have to have different sets for every part of the mesh? Or just color groups? I guess maybe it depends on specific texture needs, just wondering. I will test it tomorrow and I´ll post the results here for you to see. Thanks again!
Last Edit: December 07, 2014, 06:16:53 pm

Mario, thanks alot for your message. Great stuff. Im sort of behind on all the settings so it did help. So if I have different texture sets how do I combine them later when exporting channels? Do I have to have different sets for every part of the mesh? Or just color groups? I guess maybe it depends on specific texture needs, just wondering. I will test it tomorrow and I´ll post the results here for you to see. Thanks again!

Hi,

If you have multiple texture sets, they will be linked to multiple materials on the mesh. In modo, you would then have a material group for each texture set.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Aha, that explains it. Great. Thanks.