Author Topic: some help with this material?  (Read 5098 times)

hi guys i'm new in this forum and i'm looking for some tips for recreate this material in substance designer
i've try it.. but i can start from the pre-integrate leather material.. because this leather is so much smoothed.. my test look like plastin not leather.. anyone can help me to create a material that looks like that?

hi guys i'm new in this forum and i'm looking for some tips for recreate this material in substance designer
i've try it.. but i can start from the pre-integrate leather material.. because this leather is so much smoothed.. my test look like plastin not leather.. anyone can help me to create a material that looks like that?

Hi,

Depending on what workflow you are using, PBR or non-PBR, you will need to break out the specular reflection. If you are using PBR, then you can do this in the roughness map. If you are using non-PBR such as blinn, you can do this with a glossiness map. Either way, breaking up the specularity will make it look more like leather.

Also, you can utilize a normal map to create the small cracks in the leather. Do a search in the Library within SD. I believe we ship with some leather materials. However, these are probably for PBR use.

CHeers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

(account aeotest is mine, i've create it because sunday my login in this forum was denied)

hi, thx for the reply and sorry for some mistake with my english, my goals is only create some good render in marmoset.
for now i'm creating my project in SD with pbr(roughness & metallic). but it still looks plastic.

(account aeotest is mine, i've create it because sunday my login in this forum was denied)

hi, thx for the reply and sorry for some mistake with my english, my goals is only create some good render in marmoset.
for now i'm creating my project in SD with pbr(roughness & metallic). but it still looks plastic.

One option to check is that you are using the metalness for the Reflectivity model in Marmoset. Also, be sure that it is set to GGX. The microsurface map needs to be inverted I think. Check the invert check box.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

in your opinion am I in the right way?

in your opinion am I in the right way?

Yes, I think this is working well. I would increase roughness maybe just a little bit more. For this to work in Marmoset, you need to tick the invert button on the gloss map. For reflectivity, set it to metalness and for reflection, set it to GGX.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

damn, maybe is better if i restart my project with specular and glossiness because .sbsar is not for me.. is better if i create something easy to use..

damn, maybe is better if i restart my project with specular and glossiness because .sbsar is not for me.. is better if i create something easy to use..

Substance also supports the spec/gloss workfow. You can set the outputs to be spec/gloss with the sbsar as well.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

any feedback?

(with textures i'm not so good because i can't use photoshop well.. this is the first one full created by me.. if someone see "errors" please tell me.. it can help me to improve my quality)
Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 03:06:34 pm

any feedback?

(with textures i'm not so good because i can't use photoshop well.. this is the first one full created by me.. if someone see "errors" please tell me.. it can help me to improve my quality)

Hi,

Did you use PBR shaders? Can you post your final output maps as well? I'd like to take a look. I think you are doing well.

One thing you can do is to think about the roughness map. I'm not sure if you are using PBR metal/rough, but the idea of roughness is the same regardless. You can get a more realistic look by further modulating the roughness. The roughness will break up the specularity. It is the map that really gives your surface character. So for the shoe, think of cracks, smudges, dirt, things that would cause wear to the shoe. You don't have to make the shoe worn. It can be rather new, but there are still thinks like cracks, small scratches and such that will break up the specular. By adding some variation to the roughness, you can move away from the "plastic" look you mentioned above.

Also, in the reference images, there are some darkened areas of the leather. You can add these as well to add more variation. The less uniform the color, the better. It doesn't have to be a lot. I would say, look at varying the color and roughness.

Cheers,

Wes
Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 04:29:36 pm
the3dninja@adobe.com

i've uploaded all my project.. maybe u can find some errors in my workflow.. i've changed my project form roughness/metallic to Specular/Glossiness for create a easiest mapping in marmoset