Author Topic: Detail like carving?  (Read 920 times)

I want to detail my mesh to have carved detail. As in a column or pillar that has designs carved into it or raised above the surface. Havent been able to get Substance time consistently and its been some time...but I tried doing it from memory and didnt find what I needed. Add a layer and use an alpha as height and adjust the depth or height and stamp on the mesh. But things have changed in the menu else my memory.
Any hint would be appreciated
Thanks

You can import alphas by dragging to your shelf, or File-Import Resources - then select Alpha. Then you can just double click the alpha to start stamping and adjust the brush settings as needed.

I normally do a lot of my alpha work outside of Painter and use zBrush for that and just bake high to low, but both methods will work.

If you want to use a fill layer just add a black mask and stamp your alpha while the mask is selected and you can alter the height settings on the fill layer directly.

Thanks, will try that tonight. Have detailed in Zbrush before also. In fact I like using the brushes on stone and wood, but thought some simple things would be nice to just use Substance. My biggest problem is just lack of time and continuity. Life is largely outside my decision these days. I realised I need to relearn software and create a folder as I go of step by step direction on hos to do things. I wont ever be able to do this seriously but I love creating environments.
Thanks again.

edit-ok so nothing works, I can get the alpha on the mesh and with a material but there is no option to adjust height/depth. Thanks very much but I think this isa good headsup for me. When ya cant even get a basic thing to work then you have to consider if you're smart enough to use the software.
Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 01:18:10 am

When you right click on the view port with your alpha selected you have to adjust the height setting on the brush itself.

Thank you but there is none. If I add a layer and a mask the alpha puts nothing on the mesh, anyway i do it there is just no height adjustment for the brush. I had wanted to model some architecture to bring into Unreal. But it has to be carved and weathered etc. I think what i would need to do is start from the beggining with Substance because there is definitely some things wrong. I just dont have time to do both Substance tutorials and Unreal so I guess I will have to make a choice. What I hate is not being able to laser-find what I need. I will earn many cool things but may never find what I need to know. I remember and its been maybe two years....making a wooden post and having a Celtic tree carved into and textured and looked really cool, anyway
Thanks again. but please dont waste your time.

I'm going to be working on pretty polished up courses on Substance Painter at some point but I did a quick video for you (no audio though). This will show you some options you can use.

1. Just stamping normally on a layer.
2. Using a fill layer and using alphas with your mask and adjusting the entire fill layer.

(VIDEO FILE WILL EXPIRE IN A FEW DAYS)
https://gofile.io/?c=6H0PSY

Let me know if you have any questions. I used (RIGHT CLICK) to bring up that brush settings window.

Thank you, thats very kind. I was trying last night and after a fashion yes but...theres some issues. Going thru your video and I downloaded it for reference. Just going to start at the beginning I think. Will never use the deeper parts of Substance but apparently I remember nothing. I dread opening up Zbrush.
Ok I can get it to work as long as I dont assign a color to the alpha to stamp it, when I do even tho Height is on there is no option to slide it up or down. Guess I could paint those in but very time consuming. Will start tutorials again tonight.
Thanks again
Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 08:22:58 pm

Thank you, thats very kind. I was trying last night and after a fashion yes but...theres some issues. Going thru your video and I downloaded it for reference. Just going to start at the beginning I think. Will never use the deeper parts of Substance but apparently I remember nothing. I dread opening up Zbrush.
Ok I can get it to work as long as I dont assign a color to the alpha to stamp it, when I do even tho Height is on there is no option to slide it up or down. Guess I could paint those in but very time consuming. Will start tutorials again tonight.
Thanks again

Would you mind making a full screen shot of your view where you see the height and no option to increase it?

Actually, its when I try and use a material for the alpha to fill the indentation, the height dissapears. Just guessing its using the height of the material. I can click the Height parameters on again but the option slider doesnt reappear. Its fine if I stamp the alpha in white or assign a basic color but using a material the 'height' box is greayed out/deslected and I can click on it and turn it on but no options show up.
Will need to find a hosting site and will load one up

You should be able to click the button -> [Height] and it will enable, then adjust your values. If you don't see the height slider then it means that material has it under Parameters and you'll have to expand that to see your options.

Example:

Woot! Thanks, its under technical parameters and the menu is different. I can apply a smart mat to the mesh, choose an alpha and a material for it and you've shown me where the option is for height. Really appreciate you going out of your way, thank you.
Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 11:11:42 am

Nice job! looks great!