Author Topic: Making an indent layer  (Read 952 times)

I'm new to Substance Painter (I downloaded it yesterday) and I'm trying to make an RTX enabled texture pack for Minecraft Bedrock because I'm cool. The guide by Nvidia says to use a fill layer to add indent detail:

Here's what I have so far:

How would I go about adding the indent?
Also, on a barely related note, I noticed that the lighting in the guide is slightly different from mine. Is that just a difference in the environment or something to do with the texture?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Watching this as I want to do similar if not same. I want to add carved detail to architecture. Both inset and raised. Havent used Substace for some time but I seem to remember doing this before using a layer and using alphas, set the depth or height. But tried last night and couldnt find the controls I needed. Seems the menus have changed else I cant remember.

Watching this as I want to do similar if not same. I want to add carved detail to architecture. Both inset and raised. Haven't used Substance for some time but I seem to remember doing this before using a layer and using alphas, set the depth or height. But tried last night and couldn't find the controls I needed. Seems the menus have changed else I can't remember.
Thanks for the reply. Before posting here I did a bit of research about how I might go about doing this, and I thought it might have something to do with a layer mask. But based on the top screenshot (from the guide), it doesn't look like they used one.

Thanks, i'm not remembering correctly then, will do some more searching tonight and see what I can find. Been looking since last night but my time is usually sparse until late evening.

I've done it by either making a layer and alpha stamping, or normal stamping. If you use a fill layer you can only enable the height channel and adjust the position and size in the 2D view-port (turn repeat off). I'm not sure of any other way beyond masking internally based on using poly-fill with a fill layer, or using a mask made else where and importing it in to direct the fill layer to make the indent. I will usually do this if I need 100% accuracy and I don't want to inset the face to use poly-fill.
Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 11:38:21 pm

I've done it by either making a layer and alpha stamping, or normal stamping. If you use a fill layer you can only enable the height channel and adjust the position and size in the 2D view-port (turn repeat off). I'm not sure of any other way beyond masking internally based on using poly-fill with a fill layer, or using a mask made else where and importing it in to direct the fill layer to make the indent. I will usually do this if I need 100% accuracy and I don't want to inset the face to use poly-fill.
It seems that your intent was to suggest alpha stamping and masking, but it turned out that disabling repeat and adjusting the position in the 2D viewport looked pretty good! However, it seems that it only applied to one face; how can I apply it to all six faces?

It seems that your intent was to suggest alpha stamping and masking, but it turned out that disabling repeat and adjusting the position in the 2D viewport looked pretty good! However, it seems that it only applied to one face; how can I apply it to all six faces?

No, I was suggesting stamping or fill layers without repeat, or masking. Three options...

Stack your UVs on top of each other for the square faces and it will apply to all faces - assuming you don't require any faces to be unique in anyway. Otherwise you can repeat the steps per side.
Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 01:09:26 am

No, I was suggesting stamping or fill layers without repeat, or masking. Three options...

Stack your UVs on top of each other for the square faces and it will apply to all faces - assuming you don't require any faces to be unique in anyway. Otherwise you can repeat the steps per side.
Looks like I misunderstood your first answer. Sorry about that. Like I said, I'm new to this software and CG in general...
I know I'm probably taking up a lot of your time, but could you explain how I would go about stacking the UVs? Here's what my model looks like in 2D view:

This would be done in blender or whatever 3D modeling application you use. You would have to mark seams around all faces, unwrap then stack.

If you don't mind extra cuts on the mesh you can inset each face to the spot where you want your indent to be then use poly-fill for a mask. You wouldn't need to stack UVs in this case.

This would be done in blender or whatever 3D modeling application you use. You would have to mark seams around all faces, unwrap then stack.

If you don't mind extra cuts on the mesh you can inset each face to the spot where you want your indent to be then use poly-fill for a mask. You wouldn't need to stack UVs in this case.
Worked perfectly, thanks!