Author Topic: result of baking texture set is wrong  (Read 1070 times)

Hello, I've just started learning substance painter following substance lantern tutorial on youtube, but I have a problem with baking the texture set on lesson 02. for some reason I get a line in the middle of my model even though there is nothing there geometric wise.why do you think it is and how do i fix it? thanks!

Can you link the tutorial?
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

I used only a high poly model (attached)
Thanks!  :)

I need either an OBJ or FBX. You attached an .mtl file which is exported along side OBJ files for materials.

oops! sorry...
I meant to attach the obj file of course

oops! sorry...
I meant to attach the obj file of course

Thank you. I already had a basic idea of what went wrong but by having your mesh I can make some screen shots for you.

The initial problem with your mesh is that your object is one piece and contains more than one material ID and your UVs are outside of your 0-1 space. With such a mesh you would want to separate parts which would either intersect or will conflict with the rays when baking. So if you do use a high poly in future make sure you match by name _low _high. It also appears you have different material ids so you would have different texture sets, so you'll want to unwrap them to fit those UV tiles.

Your original:

You'll see 4 possible pieces:

You can split them as so:

Then you want unwrap each piece separately and make sure they all have their own unique material id as per below: (I use auto unwrap as this is just an example)

You'll see with your original if you put it into Painter your UVs are outside of the 0-1 space.

This is causing your issues:

One indicator of UV issues is when you have black maps when baking as they're out of the 0-1 space:

I added smoothing groups for my test and loaded it in to Painter:

Problem solved! I will link to the FBX for you.

- link EXPIRES in 7 Days from this post -
https://easyupload.io/5619dr

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 07:23:15 pm

Thank you so much, that was very helpful!! :)