Author Topic: Allegorithmic is joining the Adobe family (Part2)  (Read 158788 times)

Just a note about that : I didn't buy perpetual license on Steam. Are you telling me that perpetual licenses are more reliable on Steam than on your own site (I renewed them here) ?!

OK. Good to know.

No. we are saying that Perpetual licenses for Substance Painter & Substance Designer are now available via Steam. Nothing to do with reliability.

And I missed the sale...
Will 2020 support Adobe Medium more tightly?

We will for sure! the "how" and the "when" have to be defined properly, with the Medium team as well, so we don't have a timeframe to announce. We just want to make things right.

So how much, specifically, are perpetual licenses on Steam going to cost after October 2020?  Though the "maintenance" fee for new features is clear, the price of actual licenses wasn't discussed.

I would also like to know the status of Substance Source after the deadline.
Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 02:54:50 pm
CEO/Inventor - Rushboard Technologies
https://www.rushboardtech.com

My Portfolio - https://www.artstation.com/hyncharas

There are no price change planned for Steam, same as today.

So, here's the way it looks to me, after taking a wait and see approach. I've been paying a bunch a money for Creative Cloud for the last several years just so my daughter the artist can access it and learn various apps. I kept considering returning to the Allegorithmic group to get the updated versions, but then Adobe made its move. I made the mistake of buying Mixamo Fuse a few years back, and then watched Adobe do its thing. So I decided let's wait and see. Here I am, still paying money for a bunch of apps, the whole package so to speak, but wait, if I want to add these others I have to add another subscription on top of my top tier subscription, because as homeschooling parents, we don't qualify for teacher or student free licenses with Allegorithmic/Substance. Only affiliation with university counts. Let's consider the business model we're supporting.

Basic programs will continue with simple updates. Saturation is reached. No more money coming in, but we need to support all these employees, so what to do? Instead of finding a better path, we'll force everyone onto subscription. Great, so we pay to support Adobe's infrastructure while they work to add more apps and abilities to the mix, but those who support Adobe should then get access to the new goodies with their top tier subscription shouldn't they? Oh no, we'll make them pay on top of what they already pay if they want the new goodies they helped Adobe acquire. So... let's get this straight, we're supporting a business model where basically we're paying a bunch of people so that a few can make updates happen and keep things working, while Adobe improves their acquisitions, but the subscribers see none of that added benefit??? You want me to pay $50 a month so that my kid can learn to support Adobe products for the rest of her life.

Let's go back to the beginning of part 1-- @#$% you, Adobe.
Last Edit: December 13, 2020, 03:48:40 am

I worked for Intel Media before they got bought out by Verizon. There was a great streaming service with its own desktop box that went from "ugly betty", a makeshift thing as big as a betamax VCR down to something the size of a packet of gum. It was a tightly-knit team that worked together well and built something that, while not the most original, worked really well.

You don't have one of these set-top boxes. Verizon bought the team from Intel. Not the product. Well, they did, but they didn't care about the product. They bought the team, because they wanted the people who had built that building FIOS.

After the acquisition, all the employees were told they would simply continue on at the same salary, but would be relocating in a year to -- I think it was Austin or something (from Santa Clara!) -- and that they were now under the Verizon terms of employment.

Thing is, Intel had a bunch of perqs like a half year long sabbatical after 10 years, things like that. Verizon offered none of these. This was less than the pathetic gumball machines Yahoo! gave tenured employees. A fair number of these people were long-term Intel employees, some only months away from that lovely paid sabbatical.

There were months of turmoil as Verizon learned the hard way that between the fact that Verizon didn't really respect the product AND that they made this move with everyone being sold like serfs with the kingdom meant a lot of people exercised their "I'm quitting then, frak you" option. So much for the team you bought, V, since it's haemorrhaging the people you thought were chattel.

Well, I'm not saying the same sorts of things happened here. Not at all. I have no idea what happened.

But I currently pay monthly to have a jank-arse piece of unstable software that crashes without notice one out of three times when I go to save a file and leaves glitches in the render and occasionally in the exported files, still can't actually log in for the licenses (have to download them monthly), and it went from having an update every month and a half to not having had one AT ALL since, what, June or July or something of last year?

Maybe it's just the pandemic, because, you know, who ever heard of programmers working from home? That must be it.
Last Edit: January 16, 2021, 12:10:39 am

Hi, did you contact our support or post in the forums regarding these issues?

Part 1 will remain public: it is a great testimony/snapshot of the passion and complexity of our community, that we can use internally to support/push some ideas.

The public part was very important for me, but I've been a little sceptical at all. But now looking back it was a great decision!