Author Topic: NEW UI AND GRAPH ORGANISATION TOOLS / IDEAS  (Read 877 times)

Hello All,
So I have been using SD for quite a long time now, and I decided to create these GIF's and share some IDEAS that I think would improve graph organisation and performance.

1. HORIZONTAL AND VERTICAL INFINITE RIBBON.
When you are working on large graphs or you simply want to line up nodes with other nodes for example, all of your SLOPE BLUR nodes on one light, GRID SPACE, HORIZONTALLY or VERTICAL. It becomes quite time consuming trying to match and line up the nodes. Especially when they are very far away from each other.

I give you the AXIS CONSTRAINT INFINITE RIBBON.
By holding SHIFT you can move your NODES along the X or y axis constraint.
The INFINITE RIBBON appears to make it easier to align nodes on a given axis.

I am sure you have all been there, you are trying to align your NODES horizontally or vertically
but they are very far away from each other. You start moving your NODE and you get quite far but then
you accidentally move up or down and you can't remember how many spaces you moved..........

It might be OSD but This would make it much easier to see if your NODES are ALIGNED even if they are really
really far apart from each other. Horizontally or vertically... 

2. RESOLUTION FRAME
When you are working on very LARGE GRAPHS.
You might be testing out lots of different IDEAS, approaches and or workflows for different things. Maybe you are developing lots of different scattering techniques or maybe like me you have created one REALLY BIG GRAPH that's full of all of your substance techniques and things you know....

Currently all that DATA is set to be the same as the PARENT SIZE in your GRAPH.
And you can of course go in and change the individual nodes from RELATIVE TO PARENT to ABSOLUTE and change them that way. which you may or may not want to do.

But what if you just want to quickly change the RESOLUTION of PARTS of your GRAPH on the fly. Perhaps parts you are not currently working on but want to keep in your graph for later........

I give you the RESOLUTION FRAME.
A special type of FRAME that changes the resolution of all nodes that are inside it, independently from the parent graph size. Want to go back and work on that nodes again at the parent size ? Simply delete the RESOLUTION FRAME or change it's resolution in the CORNER CONTROL.   

3. CUSTOM SHAPE FRAMES.
Currently you can create a FRAME around a NODE or a series of NODES and move them around together. It's a GREAT grouping tool. But, What if you wanted to GROUP a series of NODES together using a CUSTOM SHAPE that makes READING the GRAPH easier?

I give you CUSTOM FRAME SHAPES.
The ability to DRAG a CUSTOM FRAME SHAPE over your NODES on the X and Y AXIS based on the GRID using HANDLES.
These CUSTOM SHAPES can then be moved around just like any other FRAME......

How I currently make custom shape frames....

Finally,
I've not made an IMAGE for this one but....
The ABILITY to MOVE a FRAME or a NODE a certain about of GRID SQUARES both HORIZONTALLY or VERTICALLY would be GREAT.

EXAMPLE....
SELECT FRAME OR NODE....
DROP DOWN > NUMERIC VALUE > MOVE 15 GRID SPACES ON X OR Y .....
This would save a LOT of TIME moving frames around and you wouldn't have to worry about them moving out of alignment.

Well hope this is helpful and I don't just have to much time on my hands.
Stay Safe everyone and happy SUBSTANCE.
SELECT FRAME   
Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 09:50:03 am