Author Topic: Substance Painter to C4D  (Read 14242 times)

I'm trying to discover a good workflow to C4D.

Unfortunately C4D can not handle substances, so Importing bitmaps and setting up the materials is the way to go.
However now we have a new reflectance shader in R16 with many options, layers masking and such. I am wondering if people here using C4D can share their thought/workflows on how to set up the different channels for a PBR scenario. Or maybe direct me to a thread somewhere discussing this.

Many thanks, Robert

You may be happy to hear that a Substance plugin for C4D is in the works, more info soon :)

You may be happy to hear that a Substance plugin for C4D is in the works, more info soon :)

:)

Happy is not the right word, its much more then that.
Thanks for the great news!

Regards, Robert

YES!

Thats fantastic news.

Gorgeous news. Yes!

Merry Christmas and happy new year! is there any other method to import substance textures in to c4d? or the plug-in is the only way to upload them? how soon is the plug-in coming?

For now, you will have to export your substances as bitmaps before importing them in C4D. We don't have any ETA to give on the plugin yet.

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* YEAH! sorry for the primal response. But this is terrific news!

I noticed the c4d logo in the promotion video. And now 5 is released but I can't seem to find anything on the c4d integration. Any news on this?

The C4D integration is in its beta phase, more info will be available soon.

So is it going to be sold as a separate plugin or integrated into C4D?

I found this link about the intergration, also about Houdini's

http://elite.nad.ca/product/maxon-cinema-4d-meet-up/

I've been experimenting with the exported bitmaps, and it seems that this is the best way:

1) Base colour into diffuse, obvs
2) Use GGX/Beckmann reflectance, and set roughness high - 80-100%. Then pull in the painter roughness into the texture slot for rough.
3) Use the metallic export in the layer mask. You may need to tweak the black point here, to get better contrast - try .35 for starters, depending on your material of course. The idea is to get decent black/white contrast. You can add fresnel too to tame the reflections if they're too harsh.
4) Then normal map into Normal (use OpenGL).

This is just based off experiments, nothing too official or scientific but it seems to work well with HDRI/Physical sky type scenes.

Cheers - Chris