Author Topic: Color ID selections inaccurate / low resolution  (Read 13234 times)

Hey guys ! :)
I'm having issues with color ID selections, the selection seems blurred and inaccurate even though I am working in 4k resolution. I tried playing with the Fuzziness and Padding but that didn't help.
I've attached pictures of how the seams looks like in a 4k map as well as 2 print screens of the result I get when I try to use a red fill layer with those seams as a mask via color IDs.
I'm having such inaccuracies pretty much everywhere to a certain extent.
(For now I'm using specific mask maps for such areas which seems to be ok)

Thanks so much.
Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 09:34:51 am

Hi,

It looks like it could be a texel resolution issue where the seams UV don't have enough resolution in the texture to make an accurate mask. So even though you are at 4K, the actual resolution the seams are getting is much lower.

If you can send me the project, I will take a look.

wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi,

It looks like it could be a texel resolution issue where the seams UV don't have enough resolution in the texture to make an accurate mask. So even though you are at 4K, the actual resolution the seams are getting is much lower.

Cheers,

Wes

Hi Wes, thanks for replying !
It seems like the IDs map is behaving like it's in a lower resolution than it really is, I can see the bleeds occurring in all the narrow and small areas.
If I am using the exact same IDs map and I extract just a single color, save it also in 4k as a black and white mask file and then use it as a mask for the layer it works fine, so currently I'm creating many masks instead of using the IDs.
I can't send the current file as is and I couldn't find an option to delete parts / texture sets.
If it's necessary I'll create a new object just as an example.

Hi,

Cheers,

Wes

Hi Wes, thanks for replying !
It seems like the IDs map is behaving like it's in a lower resolution than it really is, I can see the bleeds occurring in all the narrow and small areas.
If I am using the exact same IDs map and I extract just a single color, save it also in 4k as a black and white mask file and then use it as a mask for the layer it works fine, so currently I'm creating many masks instead of using the IDs.
I can't send the current file as is and I couldn't find an option to delete parts / texture sets.
If it's necessary I'll create a new object just as an example.

No problem :) Glad to help.

If you can send me an example project using the ID map, I'd love to take a look to make sure there isn't an issue. I haven't experienced an issue like this using ID maps.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

I am having the same issues too... I am using a raw ID map and still have pixelation... I have also been using regular masks that I extracted in Photoshop. I may end up having to create my own colour to mask setup just for painter. I don't think we need to have padding or fuzziness, especially if we bake the ID map from apps like xNormal.

I am having the same issues too... I am using a raw ID map and still have pixelation... I have also been using regular masks that I extracted in Photoshop. I may end up having to create my own colour to mask setup just for painter. I don't think we need to have padding or fuzziness, especially if we bake the ID map from apps like xNormal.

I think fuzziness and padding are nice features but the first option should be to have an identical masked area out of the selected color.
Wes, I sent you the example, hope you'll find it useful :)
Thanks a lot !

I think fuzziness and padding are nice features but the first option should be to have an identical masked area out of the selected color.
Wes, I sent you the example, hope you'll find it useful :)
Thanks a lot !

Thanks! I received the files. I will take a look and log the issue.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hello. I am also having this issue. I was wondering if there was any news regarding what can be done to solve it. The first picture is the ID map that shows on the model after pressing the Pick Color button. And the second picture is the resulting pixelated mask. I've tried playing with the hardness and tolerance but neither option looks as good as what is shown on the ID mask.

Thanks,
Pete

http://i.imgur.com/XZLjXcA.png

http://i.imgur.com/57FqD2h.png

I am also having a similar issue with id masks using Blender vertex painting and then baking my map from high poly mesh. I get a white seam between the materials when using the masks.

I am also having a similar issue with id masks using Blender vertex painting and then baking my map from high poly mesh. I get a white seam between the materials when using the masks.

Hi,

Can you post a screen shot of the issue. Also, please show the 3D/2D view in Painter so I can see the UVs.

Cheers,
wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

I get these white seams anywhere two colors meet in the id map.

Is your ID map being anti-aliased? That looks like playing with the tollerance would fix it.

I'd also second that hardness and tollerance on ID map selection really need to stay.

With A UV like that, i think a better texel density is possible.

Try to upscale all your UV island. in this way you will have less wasted UV space/pixels.
An UV map with 80% or higher coverage is what you most of the time want.

Enjoy
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Muezli.com with yoghurt and lots of fresh fruits.

I am still very new to 3d modeling,texturing,etc. I had a separate mesh for the high poly shirt,pants,skin and so on. Then i had one mesh for the low poly. Where ever the High poly meshes met i was getting the lines.

I'm still new to substance painter but having same issue as smmore. Anything I try to do I get either white line or ugly pixalated lines around my id groups. I always use zbrush and I've tried making high poly map, also dint help. I'm lost on this could really use some help :(
here's the pic of the piece
Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 06:28:49 am