Author Topic: Issues with Normals Showing Correctly in Viewport  (Read 618 times)

Hello, this a nube question: I'm having issues with the normals appearing correctly in my viewport. As you can see in the photos, the bottom half of the sofa is only partially being showing in the 3d viewport. Whereas in the 2d viewport they appear fine. In the rendering they also appear "normal". The mesh was exported from 3ds Max (2016) with a flipped normal modifier added. Should add that when that modifier is removed the inverse occurs where the top portion of the couch is partially visible.

I did some research on the net and there was some mention of tangent and world normals applied correctly, but in all candor I don't if that is the problem. Any suggestions or advice is welcome. Thanking you in advance.

Polygons are inverted for the bottom half of the object. Invert the normals for those faces.

As I stated in my original post I tried inverting or flipping normals, but then the rest of the model would also be inverted.  What I should have done is break up the elements (originally it was one mesh used for unwrapping in another app.) Having now separated the elements, the normals are working fine now, however the upper part is faceted, which is strange because I applied a TurboSmooth modifier to it.
Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 08:54:39 pm

As I stated in my original post I tried inverting or flipping normals, but then the rest of the model would also be inverted. 

You need to invert the normals for the polygons that actually face the wrong way, not invert them for the entire model, which obviously will just invert the effect. Normals are defined separately for each single polygon, not the entire object at once.

however the upper part is faceted

Create smoothing groups for your model.
Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 07:03:57 pm

Though I did try the inverting normals on the elements within the model, unfortunately that too was unsuccessful. You are of course correct on both issues which will compel me to learn smoothing groups better to avoid future issues. Thank you for your help.