Author Topic: How can i access my previous project files?  (Read 2225 times)

So this is my trouble.. I didn't change any folder location, but when I click open project I can only see recent projects, and when I  click import file to load one of my previous saved project,  this link open, C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Alchemist

but the project folders are not there

all the project files in C:\Users\Pin\AppData\Roaming\Allegorithmic\Substance Alchemist\createdMaterials

folder as json. but I can not open them. Files doesn't show up when I click import on Alchemist

So how can I access and open them?
Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 11:46:35 pm

All project files you can import are .alch files with a dependency folder.
You can't import the .json files.

Did you export the project in .alch files? With which versions?
Substance Alchemist Product Manager

Thanks for the reply. I am using 2.1, I am trying open a project that I saved before, I can see all the saved files in  json files and sbsar but not .alch files. where are they?
I checked both these links
C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Alchemist
C:\Users\Pin\AppData\Roaming\Allegorithmic\Substance Alchemist\createdMaterials

Hi Pinarer,
If you created this project with version 2019.1.0 or above, it should appaear in your projects list.

Could you have a look to C:\Users\Pin\AppData\Roaming\Allegorithmic\Substance Alchemist and tell me if there is any .bak file ?

Regards.

Thanks for the reply but no i dont see any .bak file
this is what i see
assetbackup
createdmaterials
rendercache
thumbnailcache
workflows
alchemistdatabase
log
log.txt
usersettings

under created materials they all JSON file

Created projects are stored in Alchemist Database. They all should appear in the list in "open project" window...

Could you please open another project and use search bar to find an asset you created in one of the missing projects (if you know its name)? It should be found, whatever the current project.

Regards.

This is very confusing, when I open a project, only recent works shows up in there, and the ones I am looking the previous ones. So they dont show up in there. When I click open on the left menu, it only shows recent files,  when I click import, it goes to C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Alchemist and over there there is only Json files,this is what i see

createdmaterials
Plugins
qml
resources
etc.. But no bak files.

Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 02:52:09 am

as addition to my previous reply...I see my assetback up files.. but they are in Json file also . If we can not open Json file then we have it there ? :)

Hello pinarer,

Alchemist projects are not stored in dedicated files. They are only accessible from the file "open project" menu.
The list here contains all the projects you created using file "new project".

A project is a list of material collections, associated to a workflow. What are you trying to open ? A material ?

Regards.

I see.. I am just trying to find a material that I created in Alchemist, I could find Json files on my computer but I just can not see under my open project menu, it only shows some of my recent ones. That's the trouble..

Hello together,

I have a similar issue:

Alchemist would instantly crash on launching, so I searched in the forum and delete the "alchemist-app-data folder" (and made a copy of the old one).

I restarted Alchemist and it worked - so far so good- but then, like pinarer, my old Alchemist projects/materials I´ve created are gone.

They don´t show up at the starting menu of Alchemist.

So i guess I am repeating the same question from pinarer: Is there a way to utilise the backup "appdata-folder" to get back the old Alchemist creations?

I see also in the "\Substance Alchemist\assetsBackup" folder besides of some json files a lot of sbsar files. Shouldn´t they help in some way?

Any help would be appreciated, it´s kinda sad to loose all those created materials...

Greets

Peter

Hello,

I see.. I am just trying to find a material that I created in Alchemist, I could find Json files on my computer but I just can not see under my open project menu, it only shows some of my recent ones. That's the trouble..

Materials are not projects. A project is a list of collections, each collection containings multiple materials. When you open a project, materials are not displayed. If you are looking for a material, you can use the search bar on top of resources panel.

Regards.

Hello Peter

Is there a way to utilise the backup "appdata-folder" to get back the old Alchemist creations?

For the moment no. have you reported a bug for the crash you experience ? If your Alchemist database is not too big, maybe you could send it to me, so I'll have a look on what's wrong with it ?

Regards.