Author Topic: Re-importing same mesh doesn't keep Material info  (Read 74 times)

Hi! ;D

I'm quite new to Substance Painter and the forum. So if I put this in wrong or have missed an obvious answer then my bad! :'(

But the issue I'm running into is that I exported my object with my reference plane still attached. But I ended up wanting
to use Substance Painters render. So for countless hours, I've tried to get rid of this plane.

I've been trying to reimport the exact same mesh, with the exact same UVs. Just without the plane attached to the FBX file. But when I do, the smart material/layers don't apply correctly to the new mesh.
I know there are a lot of issues with re-importing meshes into substance. But like I said the mesh itself never changed.

the plane wasn't unwrapped or painted on at all.

Before: https://gyazo.com/fadea4ad67bb199c499a501a7a7982b5

After: https://gyazo.com/43c584cd59dd0b04061806e9506ba076

I'm just trying to figure out what I'm missing! :P

Thanks!
Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:51:40 pm

But like I said the mesh itself never changed.

You have deleted the plane, of course the mesh changed. Painter records paint strokes in world space, based on the bounding box of the object. When you deleted the plane, the bounding box changed, thus the paint strokes are projected into the wrong location.

This only applies to _manual_ paint strokes. Smart materials based on the baked meshes will work.

I know there are a lot of issues with re-importing meshes into substance.

There are no issues re-importing meshes into Painter. You need to know what you are doing!

If you have done a lot of manual painting and don't want to do it all over again, you should just continue working on the model with the plane attached. If you don't want to do that, you need to re-create all manual painting you have done. There is no way around it.

It doesn't matter what the UVs look like. You can completely rearrange the UVs without losing work, Painter will re-project the textures onto the new layout. What you can't do is change the geometry/ the bounding box of the geometry.
Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:42:34 pm

Okay! Thank you  :)