Author Topic: some papercuts  (Read 2194 times)

Hi. I'm a pretty new user of SD in general, but after 75 hours with it, there are some things that look simple to fix but are annoying.

- Replacing nodes. You often have a node and you want to replace it with another that has the same inputs and outputs. Currently you have to add the new one and reconnect all the inputs rather than just swapping them out.

- When exporting bitmaps, graphs always forget their export paths, file type and selected outputs after restarting SD. This is such a basic thing it's hard for me to believe it doesn't work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

- You can't export multiple graphs. I want to just select twenty and hit export, and have them save to wherever their export paths point. Right now, combined with the issue above, re-exporting twenty graphs takes an hour of mind-numbing clicking.

- You can't easily select a bunch nodes and isolate them into a new graph.

- This is probably just my own ineptitude, but I can't for the life of me figure out what conditions have to be met to use the compact material connections on my own graphs. Please make this simple.

Like I said, I'm not exactly an experienced user, so maybe some of these things are possible and I just don't know how. If so, I'd love to hear about it!

Replacing nodes. You often have a node and you want to replace it with another that has the same inputs and outputs. Currently you have to add the new one and reconnect all the inputs rather than just swapping them out.
When would you want to trigger the replacement ? When you drop a node over another one, or do you want to right click over the node to replace, and select a "replace with..." action in a menu ? The first case can be very annoying/unpractical because it can trigger unwanted replacement when you are moving a group of nodes, or when there are automated actions that change the layout of the graph (switch from compact material mode, docking/undocking, ...). The UI for the second case can also be difficult to make practical, as the list of all possible replacement could be very large and difficult to navigate.
Also regarding this: note that you can grab all the connections to an input (resp. from an output) and drop them on an other input (resp output) using shift+left click. This can make replacing one node by another a bit faster if the node you are replacing does not have a huge number of in/outs (and if it has a number of in/outs, auto replacement would not be very useful as it would be very unlikely that there exists another node with exactly the same set of in/outs).

This is probably just my own ineptitude, but I can't for the life of me figure out what conditions have to be met to use the compact material connections on my own graphs. Please make this simple.
You probably want to watch this tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71V6Vi6OpbM
The part about how to group outputs together in materials is explained starting around 3'40.
Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 06:07:22 pm

Thanks for replying! I didn't expect the attention of the Chief Scientist :)

Well, I'm not a UI designer, I can tell you that much. To replace a node, the first thing I tried was to drag a graph over the node. I can absolutely see your point that it would probably cause some false positives. But anyway, when just dragging didn't work, I tried doing the same thing with the Alt, Ctrl and Shift modifier keys. So that's probably when I'd expect it to trigger, possibly with a little icon showing up next to the cursor, or painting the node a different color when the cursor dragging the new graph is over it. I'm not saying that's the best way to handle it of course. It's simply the second thing I tried.

Thanks for the video tutorial. I swear I remember grouping the outputs and failing. But maybe I did something wrong. I'll try again.
Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 11:18:53 pm