Author Topic: 4.5.2 Baking Path and other questions  (Read 7099 times)

Hello

In Version 4.4.1 if i bake some maps from my object, i usaly have to delete my older baking options (AO, Curvature, Position...) first and create new ones.
If i have do that, the path for the linked baked files, gets automaticly updatet.
Now since 4.5.2 the path dont gets updatet. It makes no difference if i choose in the preferences Last Path or Package Path.
There is always Last Path active.
Now i have to delete all, hit OK and start baking again for the correct paths.
How to solve that missmatch?

From the Release Log
[3D View] Store default shader in the project files
[3D View] Make the "Default" Material's shader reset to the default shader when clicking on the "Reset All" action
Is there a way to change the default shader to Metal/Rough for 3d View and Graph?
If i hit on Reset my shader get always a reset to Relief.
It makes no difference if i create a new project or work on a actuall project.

I hope you understand what i mean.
I could not show pictures or video to compare the new and old versions, because i am not able to reinstall V 4.4.1 because of to many activations.

Any help would be nice.

Regards Malo

You can now change the default shader in the preferences in 4.5.2, at the bottom of the Projects tab.

Thanks, for the hint, found it.
What about if i add a new Graph? It is still for a Relief based workflow. Could we change that, too?

Any idea for the Paths, too?

Thanks, for the hint, found it.
What about if i add a new Graph? It is still for a Relief based workflow. Could we change that, too?

Any idea for the Paths, too?

Hi,

When you create a new graph, you can choose between the template you want to use. It defaults to relief-based. We don't have an option to set a default template.

For the paths, I'm not sure I'm understanding. If I delete an output in the baker and add a new one, it retains the path folder that I had chosen for the other bakers. When you do this, is it resetting?

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks for the reply.
Would it be possible to set a default for the template in a future update?

Paths:
How should i say.
My workflow.
1. Start a new Project
2. Import my files (fbx, normalmap, material ID)
3. Save the Project
4. Open Baking Menu
Until this point everything works in the same way if i use 4.4.1 or 4.5.2

Now, the baking menu open.
I see my older bakings from an older project. Still fine in both version.
Now i delete all this baking option. You know, i delete the Ambient Occlusion, Curvature and all the others.
Still the same in both versions.

Now i choose from the Bakers dropdownmenu the Curvature to bake.
And now the difference began.
In 4.4.1 the folder to Link the baked Curvature map gets updatet automaticly to my saved path see point 3 above.
In 4.5.2 the folder is still the old folder from an differenct project. It wont be updatet automaticly.
How could i say the Designer he should update my package path automaticly like in 4.4.1 ?
The changes in the preferences wont works.
It only gets an update if i delete everything in the baker, klick on OK and open the Baker again with rightklick on my fbx file.

When my explaining still wont help, then i need a little bit help (see first post) to reinstall 4.4.1 again to capture a video.
Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 11:23:35 pm

After several test, i found another weird problem.

Some nodes did not shown any thumbnails, if you use a Material Transform node.
Take a look at this.

This works as it should.

If i put a Material Transform Node after the Multi Material Blend, the node image gets disabled.

If i put more Material Transform Nodes in the line, Nodes like the Material Color Blend image gets disabled.

If i delete the last Material Tranform Node, the Material Color Blend image gets enabled. But the Multi Material Blend is still disabled.

Rightklick -> Compute Nodes Thumbnails wont helps.
As far as i see, if i connect manually the BaseColor into the Diffuse input from the Material Transform Node, the Thumbnail gets updatet.
Maybe there is another missmatch with the new change to BaseColor.

Bug or Not? Any Ideas?

No one?
Am i the only one that have that problem?
Could anybody please check it, if it is a bug or something is wrong with my install.
Would be nice to know.

No one?
Am i the only one that have that problem?
Could anybody please check it, if it is a bug or something is wrong with my install.
Would be nice to know.

Hi,

Could you send me the graph you are working with? I can take a look.

wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Thanks for the reply.
I have send you a file with some graphs, that you could take a look into it.

Hello Wes, any news?
Did you found the time watch at my file?

Hello Wes, any news?
Did you found the time watch at my file?

Hi Malo,

I just checked the file and I can confirm the issue you are describing. I will alert the devs on this issue. I'm sorry for the inconvenience with this problem. We will get it sorted out.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Thanks for your time Wes.

Thanks for your time Wes.

Hi Malo,

Ah, I found the issue actually. Its not a problem. You just need to set the channels you are working with. In this case you have base color, but the transform node has a diffuse channel enabled but not diffuse is fed to the transform which causes the thumbnail to be blank.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hm, i think you are wrong.
Take a look into the Bug_1 Graph of my file.

The Material Transform Node, shows the Thumnail correctly, without change.
But the Multi Material Blend is still empty.
Even if you disable the diff/spec/glossy input, and reconnect the nodes, it still keep the Thumbnail empty.

I still think there is a problem with the new BaseColor name change.
If i connect the BaseColor from the Fabric 002 Node with the Multi Material Blend Node Diffuse input, the Thumbnail gets calculatet.

As far as i see, all nodes are based on the Diffuse input and dont works correctly with the new BaseColor Input, for the Thumbnails.
It looks like the Nodes only calculate the Thumbnail for the Diffuse input.

Cheers,

Malo
Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 09:29:34 pm

Hm, i think you are wrong.
Take a look into the Bug_1 Graph of my file.

The Material Transform Node, shows the Thumnail correctly, without change.
But the Multi Material Blend is still empty.
Even if you disable the diff/spec/glossy input, and reconnect the nodes, it still keep the Thumbnail empty.

I still think there is a problem with the new BaseColor name change.
If i connect the BaseColor from the Fabric 002 Node with the Multi Material Blend Node Diffuse input, the Thumbnail gets calculatet.

As far as i see, all nodes are based on the Diffuse input and dont works correctly with the new BaseColor Input, for the Thumbnails.
It looks like the Nodes only calculate the Thumbnail for the Diffuse input.

Cheers,

Malo

Hi Malo,

I was able to get it to work. This time, it was the issue that the multi-material blend had diffuse, spec, gloss channels enabled, but they were not being fed those channels. I think adding the transform with the same missing channels caused the thumbnail not to compute. However, I did need to create a new multi-material blend with only the channels I would be working with and reconnect the inputs. This fixes it, but it is a bit temperamental : )

To never get this issue, just make sure that the multi-material blends, material color blend, and material transform have only the channels you will supply to them enabled before you make the connects.

Cheers,

Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com