Author Topic: Best VGA for substance  (Read 255 times)

Report to moderator 
Joel Wynd 0
Email Personal Message (Online)
Hey internet,

Im bulding a new rig, need some advice about which VGA to choose.

I use Zbrush and maya for modelling, and designer and painter for texture creation . Then port the results to unreal .

Im not really looking to produce finished renders from substance.

Im looking at the Radeon VII as oppsoed to a nvidia card .

From what i read everyone reccomends a nividia card based on the fact that iray rendering wont run off the GPU if i have an AMD card. But like i said I dont want to render from substance just create textures.

SO my thinking is that the radeon VII with 16gb HMB2 will offer me better performance than an 8gb rtx 2080 for example....

Is this correct ?

Pretty much i want to know, if im not interested in rendering from substance, my concern should be on higher memory for better performance... yes or no ??

You're looking for a video card just to power your viewports? No gaming? No GPU rendering? Anything will do, grab a cheap GeForce GTX 1060. If you're looking for something more powerful for Unreal and maybe ray tracing, go with the 2080(Ti).

Don't get a AMD card, you'll regret it later, especially if you're using Autodesk products.

I know this is a little but I wanted to add something in case others stumble across the thread. Substance can see huge benefits from larger VRAM pools. Especially as the texture size grows. There are some definite benefits to having 16GB over 6GB. In my experience, AMD GPUs perform just as well in the viewport for painting as NVidia. If you're not planning to use iRay heavily, I'd definitely go for more VRAM.