Author Topic: Halp!!! I'm Having Trouble Creating A VR Asteroid!!!  (Read 899 times)

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Tech Support sub-forum, but here's as good a place as any.

I want to create a VR asteroid but I'm having trouble with my Normals because in VR Normal maps only display micro/macro(?) detail. The only way I can have them looking decent is with adding geometry, which given the medium is not ideal unless I want my scene running at 3fps lol  ;D

The asteroids are going to be in my Main Menu scene so I want them looking decent.

I've tried creating one in ZBrush and adding geometry via the Surface thingummybob then using Remesher and Decimator Master to bring the low res mesh down in polys but with the high res mesh at 400K and the low res mesh at 20K my textures and model aren't looking great in UE4 in VR.

Any suggestions on what I can do to produce an asteroid-like Substance would also be very welcome too. I've only messed around with metallic stuff for the inside of my mining ship so far, so anything rock-like is a bit of a mystery to me. All I've done so far is combined a couple of Concrete materials so far which look okay but I can't seem to change the colour for some reason.

Many thanks in advance for any help given! ;D