Author Topic: Scaling settings inconsistency in Designer vs Painter  (Read 572 times)

Getting some odd behaviour trying to take a sbsar from Designer into Painter.

Designer on the left, Painter on the right (open the full image, and look at the left hand side of the mesh in both views to see the most pronounced difference).
As you can see, on the left I get nice fine detail in the grain, even when setting the global tiling to 5.
If I take the sbsar into Painter on the same model, and use UV scaling, I get filtering/blurriness.
I've tried both the Safe Transform and Material Transform nodes to do the scaling in SD and they basically give me the Painter look in SD - ie blurry output - rather than the other way around.
It's definitely related to the scaling rather than anything else, because even just showing base color only, 1x looks the same in both applications:

but when I increase global tiling to 5x in SD and UV tiling to 5 in SP I get the following :

I'm using the same settings in both applications otherwise (2k parent in SD, texture set @ 2k in SP), and it's the same mesh in both applications.

I'd try to expose the scaling on my input noises etc as a parameter and control that in SD, but I'm using some noises/grunge maps that just don't make that available themselves. It looks like anything placed after those input noise nodes that tries to scale the output is going to be giving me the same filtering/blurriness.

What am I missing here? The seeming inconsistency in behaviour between the two programs is driving me nuts  :P

This is expected, Substance Painter works with textures not shaders. You can't achieve this level of quality without using very big texture resolution, or changing your UVs to increase the texel ratio. This is why the transform nodes give the same results, they works with the pixels and output a texture. Tiling in a shader won't show this problem because the result is directly displayed on screen, not "baked".
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.