Author Topic: Non Square Textures  (Read 1158 times)

Hi!

Is it possible to work with non-square textures (like 1024*4096)? (Or Export non-square textures)
Thanks

Zen

Hello,

We only support square textures right now. For which usage, do you need to work in 1024*4096 for example?

Thanks
Substance Alchemist Product Manager

A road texture, a wall texture, an architectural module.  Any environment texture basically since 1x2 form factor usually better suites repeating nature of things.    We use square textures only for unique unwraps.

Hi !
I work with SpeedTree and therefore for bark/trunk, I need non-square textures.
Thanks

Hello,

We only support square textures right now. For which usage, do you need to work in 1024*4096 for example?

Thanks

Totally agree on the road textures case.
+1

Hello,

Thanks

I'm shocked, Algorithmic Substance (unfortunately now Adobe) is not even aware that a lot of environment textures are not square: Tree trunks, leaves... it's not just the road textures, it's almost everything. Check your calendar, it's 2020, the world has moved on from the square thinking.
Don't we all know that the industry standard in plants is SpeedTree? don't we know it works with a ratio of 4 to 1 to avoid repetition on trunks, which is stupidly present is square textures?
Here are a few attachments, do they look square?
That square thinking is quite frustrating as I pay for a long time for a software that I can't use on my textures, I have to do everything manually in Photoshop. I have to create all the normal, AO, roughness.. all of that manually in Photoshop while paying Adobe for nothing.
Yes it's an angry frustrated hopeless feature request. Why hopeless? Coz it's now Adobe, it doesn't care about what customers want. I guarantee that the non square texture processing in Substance will never see the light. Its not the first time this was asked.

Hello,
Thanks for your message.

The non-square textures request came from several times in the last months and I can ensure you that the feature is a very high priority right now.
We listened to your needs, we just closed one major release and are preparing the next big one.

Thanks

Hello,

If you didn't watch our Livestream yesterday, here is a preview non-square textures working in Alchemist.
https://youtu.be/qKyQIkXcDec?t=2255

Here we're using non-square resolutions to create Image Base Lighting image.