Author Topic: very slow export  (Read 3831 times)

I looked at your file this morning.
I kept your project as-is (4K resolution), I only adjusted the export path to put it on my SSDs disk and tested the following:
- PNG 16bit export : 7min50s
- EXR 32bit export : 2min15s

You spend most on your time writing the PNG files, which have a lossless compression format that takes quite a bit of time to compute. The computation is done on the CPU, hence why the GPU does nothing. Switched to another format without compression, like EXR here, save time on that. Given the amount of Texture Sets you have and the resolution, 2 minutes seems like reasonable to me.

We also have some plans to improve the exporter in the future given the upcoming new UDIM workflow, so the export time may improve a bit.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

I looked at your file this morning.
I kept your project as-is (4K resolution), I only adjusted the export path to put it on my SSDs disk and tested the following:
- PNG 16bit export : 7min50s
- EXR 32bit export : 2min15s

You spend most on your time writing the PNG files, which have a lossless compression format that takes quite a bit of time to compute. The computation is done on the CPU, hence why the GPU does nothing. Switched to another format without compression, like EXR here, save time on that. Given the amount of Texture Sets you have and the resolution, 2 minutes seems like reasonable to me.

We also have some plans to improve the exporter in the future given the upcoming new UDIM workflow, so the export time may improve a bit.

this is amazing. thank you very much. We should have been using EXRs, to be honest. When substance painter was relatively new it always defaulted to PNG and since they worked ok we kind of went with it. Really appreciate your help.