Author Topic: automatic uv unwrapper never applies  (Read 329 times)

hi,
I just updated my painter to version 2019.3 and was looking forward to trying out the automatic uv unwrapper
however, whenever I import a model from 3ds max *tried both .obj and .fbx* it just imports the model and nothing else. it doesnt uv unwrap? at times it states the scene is valid and object contains no UV mesh....

i didnt unwrap it in 3ds max
i didnt check the UDIMS box

I am using a student version, is this affecting the software? till now it seems its not even included in my update

best

Can you attach a test mesh here ?
Are you sure you don't have any UVs ? Even a default one generated by 3DS Max ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

thanks for the swift reply
how do I add a test mesh?

See below:

Otherwise you can upload to a file sharing site like Google Drive or Dropbox.

thanks, here it is!

no one has the same issue as I do ?

no one has the same issue as I do ?

No. Painter unwraps the fbx you have posted without problems. It doesn't do a very good job at it though (distortions), you should always unwrap models with very few polygons manually - and everything else, too, if you ask me.

To be honest I have never even bothered to try this feature until now. A 1-click automatic unwarp can never produce a good,  optimized layout that is required to get good textures.
Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 12:43:49 pm