Author Topic: Vray distributed rendering takes forever!  (Read 370 times)

I'm using Vray Next and whenever i apply a Substance material in my scene it takes a very long time before the render nodes pick up the job and begin rendering.  An image that normally takes 368 seconds to render with no Substance materials will take 201 seconds when only one material is used.  Stranger still if I have a Substance material loaded in the material editor but I'm not using it in the scene it still takes longer to render than if I had not loaded the material at all.  The more Substance materials I use the longer it takes for distributed rendering to begin, I'm trying to figure out if it's a problem with my settings or if it's simply a result of the substance files taking a long time to load.  If I can't get the load times down to a reasonable duration I don't see how I'll ever be able to use these materials in a real life scenario. :(

We're having a similar issue at our studio using substance materials purchased from textures.com in tandem with the 3DS Max plugin, but for some reason it seems three of our six render nodes completely lock up during the render. Update 2.3.1 has only exacerbated this problem by causing a lockup of 3DS Max for several minutes when rendering locally. At this point we're at a bit of a loss and the only apparent solution is to avoid substance materials in general. Hoping for someone at algorithmic/adobe to address this sooner rather than later.

Distributed rendering requires a full graph render, as any cached outputs won't exist on the nodes, as they wouldn't be copied over.

The speed at which this takes will vary on the graph, as some graphs are more complicated. The time will also scale by the resolution of the graph.

I think we should look at having some sort of cooking for an sbsar, as doing a render would be unnecessary if the graph isn't being animated.
Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 10:57:14 pm
Software Engineer, Integrations
Maya, 3ds Max and Core Libraries

Some sort of baking solution would be fantastic. I don't know if there's some way to send a local cache to distributed nodes but that would be the ideal scenario. Something like that might require a deeper integration with Max that may not be possible without a direct line of communication with Autodesk. It would be nice to see Autodesk officially support Substance though given how prevalent it is.