Author Topic: Substance for UE4 Training Series  (Read 39833 times)

Hello,

Welcome to the Substance for UE4 series support thread. I hope you have enjoyed the tutorials. If you have any questions, please post them here. If you haven't checked out the series, the videos show the process of creating a sci-fi door asset using Substance Painter and Substance Designer specifically for use in UE4.

Prerequisites: Working knowledge of Substance Painter, Substance Designer and UE4. For new users, completion of the "Getting Started Series" for both Substance Designer and Painter is suggested.

Substance in UE4 Playlist

Substance Project Files

UE4 Project Files - Engine Version 4.16.1

Cheers,

Wes
Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 10:32:00 pm
Integrations Product Manager / Training
wes.mcdermott@allegorithmic.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Thanks for a great video series.  Looking forward to the project files!

C

Thanks for a great video series.  Looking forward to the project files!

C

Thanks Chris! The Substance project files are ready and the UE4 project file will be available tomorrow.

Cheers,

Wes

Again another great tutorial series as usual, Wes! Looking forward to try things out when I come home from work :-) . I hope Substance Painter will be able to deal with multiple meshes sometime.
Best regards,
Oli

Again another great tutorial series as usual, Wes! Looking forward to try things out when I come home from work :-) . I hope Substance Painter will be able to deal with multiple meshes sometime.
Best regards,
Oli

Hi Oli,

Thanks very much! I greatly appreciate it.

Cheers,

Wes

Wes,
You're training is the best out there. I go through a whole lot of training as an Instructor at a top Art and design college in NYC.

Terrific stuff.
B.

Wes,
You're training is the best out there. I go through a whole lot of training as an Instructor at a top Art and design college in NYC.

Terrific stuff.
B.

Thanks very much! That is very encouraging to read : ) 

Cheers,

Wes

Did I miss the blueprint video or is it still on the works?

Did I miss the blueprint video or is it still on the works?

I'm sorry, I haven't been able to record that one yet. I will have it uploaded by next week. I'm sorry for the delay.

Cheers,

Wes

Was the video postponed Wes? I don't see it anywhere on the allegorithmic youtube page.

Was the video postponed Wes? I don't see it anywhere on the allegorithmic youtube page.

I'm sorry for the delay. I'm working on it now : ) I'm hoping to have it ready this week before Christmas break. However, it will definitely be online next week at the latest. I made some changes for UE4 4.6 support.

Cheers,

Wes

Thanks for the great documentation!

Can we get a tutorial on the process of getting a substance from Painter to UE4?  I understand the process from Designer but painter doesnt seam to have a 'publish' feature and the only SBARs i can find for my document are blank upon import into UE4.

Thanks for the great documentation!

Can we get a tutorial on the process of getting a substance from Painter to UE4?  I understand the process from Designer but painter doesnt seam to have a 'publish' feature and the only SBARs i can find for my document are blank upon import into UE4.

As far as I know you can't export Substances from Painter. I recall reading they plan to improve the integration between Painter and Designer, but...

...You could create your Substance in Designer, export the Painter textures to a folder, and in Designer read these textures as inputs, so each time you export the textures from Painter, the Designer graph is updated and you can re-export the Substance from there.

Wes already made a video on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUP9MAi6CVU
Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 02:34:36 pm

Hello, Mr Wes McDermott

My name Koonal Rajguru and i work at splashiv studio India, We are an Indie studio working on our first game using UE4 and substance. I am doing Level design including Substance workflow for texturing. We have bought substance indie pack license and using it since than for all objects. I have watched all the videos from YouTube channel and i really like how substance support is growing, my personal best one is Hans character for Substance painter.

My Question is how to use texture (e.g Game Textures as we have bought textures) to create a wooden pillar or wooden plank. Basically anything which involves wooden object as the UVs has to be done more accurately than a character UVs or any other object. I am stuck where i need to create Cottage which is made of Wooden Planks, Pillars are made from wooden pieces so i really don't know what should i do to get realistic look for wood. As i have all the maps(Albedo, AO, Specular, Diffuse, Roughness, Height, Normal). My models are looking fake inside Substance Designer and i really don't know what should be done to fix it.

It would be nice if you can make a video or series of video showing how to use external texture in Substance Designer and Painter especially Wood Texture, because i have gone through a lot video but its not enough when it comes to Wood. And it would be nice if its procedural.

regards,
Koonal Rajguru 
Koonal Rajguru

Project Manager
YetiTech Studios

https://www.artstation.com/artist/koonalrajguru

Hello, Mr Wes McDermott

My name Koonal Rajguru and i work at splashiv studio India, We are an Indie studio working on our first game using UE4 and substance. I am doing Level design including Substance workflow for texturing. We have bought substance indie pack license and using it since than for all objects. I have watched all the videos from YouTube channel and i really like how substance support is growing, my personal best one is Hans character for Substance painter.

My Question is how to use texture (e.g Game Textures as we have bought textures) to create a wooden pillar or wooden plank. Basically anything which involves wooden object as the UVs has to be done more accurately than a character UVs or any other object. I am stuck where i need to create Cottage which is made of Wooden Planks, Pillars are made from wooden pieces so i really don't know what should i do to get realistic look for wood. As i have all the maps(Albedo, AO, Specular, Diffuse, Roughness, Height, Normal). My models are looking fake inside Substance Designer and i really don't know what should be done to fix it.

It would be nice if you can make a video or series of video showing how to use external texture in Substance Designer and Painter especially Wood Texture, because i have gone through a lot video but its not enough when it comes to Wood. And it would be nice if its procedural.

regards,
Koonal Rajguru

Hi Koonal,

That is a good idea for a video. Game Textures does provide some PBR textures. If you don't have a PBR set, it sounds like the maps you are using are not designed for a PBR workflow. You can still use them, but they will need to be edited so that they work with PBR. Can you post a reference to the images or email me the images you are using and I can look to create a video on how to make them work for PBR.

Cheers,

Wes