Author Topic: Using materials that came with Substance Painter  (Read 9913 times)

I bought the Indie pack and Substance Painter has some default paint materials and Stencil materials which are really nice.

Can I (am I allowed to) use these materials for projects directly within Unity?

From what I can tell they're in a folder like:
C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Painter\resources\library\allegorithmic\copper metal\resources\

with names like 2ac55a39c7883a45ca3803e0e5022d0e5439fa68.sbsar

I'm using ProBuilder to make buildings directly within Unity and it works well with substances.   

I'm hoping to build up a library of substances I can use within unity for simple objects like walls etc. and these would be a great start.

How would I get these into a separate library and for reflective substances such as copper do I need to create a cube map in unity to make them reflect?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Roy

I bought the Indie pack and Substance Painter has some default paint materials and Stencil materials which are really nice.

Can I (am I allowed to) use these materials for projects directly within Unity?

From what I can tell they're in a folder like:
C:\Program Files\Allegorithmic\Substance Painter\resources\library\allegorithmic\copper metal\resources\

with names like 2ac55a39c7883a45ca3803e0e5022d0e5439fa68.sbsar

I'm using ProBuilder to make buildings directly within Unity and it works well with substances.   

I'm hoping to build up a library of substances I can use within unity for simple objects like walls etc. and these would be a great start.

How would I get these into a separate library and for reflective substances such as copper do I need to create a cube map in unity to make them reflect?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

Roy

Hi Roy,

Absolutely : ) You are free to use any substances that ship with the products.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

How do I go about getting the substances out of the substance painter and into a seperate location where I can use them in Unity?

Just one say "copper" do I need a special shader to use it in Unity? do I have to create a cubemap?

How do I go about getting the substances out of the substance painter and into a seperate location where I can use them in Unity?

Just one say "copper" do I need a special shader to use it in Unity? do I have to create a cubemap?

Hello,

You don't need any shaders. You can import the sbsar file directly into Unity. However, the Substance Painter materials are physically based and Unity doesn't currently have PBR shaders, so the textures created by the sbsar file will not work correctly with the Unity shaders. However, if you have a PBR shader from the Unity asset store such as Lux shader or Alloy, the sbsar files could be used.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

Hello,

You don't need any shaders. You can import the sbsar file directly into Unity. However, the Substance Painter materials are physically based and Unity doesn't currently have PBR shaders, so the textures created by the sbsar file will not work correctly with the Unity shaders. However, if you have a PBR shader from the Unity asset store such as Lux shader or Alloy, the sbsar files could be used.

Cheers,

Wes

So what is the process to get the SBSAR files working with Alloy or Lux? I have my substance working but it is not using the material mapping. :( Still trying to figure that out.

Hello,

Cheers,

Wes

So what is the process to get the SBSAR files working with Alloy or Lux? I have my substance working but it is not using the material mapping. :( Still trying to figure that out.

You can import the sbsar into Unity and this will generate textures and a material. You can then drag the substance material onto the mesh. When you select the mesh, you can assign any shader. With Alloy and Lux, there isn't an automatic mapping of the textures and channels, so you might need to drag the generated textures in the substance from the Asset folder onto the correct channel slots.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com

I think the specular map is actually four textures combined. Metallic (R), Ao (G), Spec (B), Gloss (A). If the setup is similar to Lux, then your main graph should have only three outputs.

I think the specular map is actually four textures combined. Metallic (R), Ao (G), Spec (B), Gloss (A). If the setup is similar to Lux, then your main graph should have only three outputs.

This is a good point. You will need to setup your graph so that the outputs will produce the textures you need for the custom shaders you will be using. Once the outputs are designed to produce the correct maps, you will then need to manually drag the generated textures from the substance in the asset folder to the appropriate texture slots.

In this example, I setup my graph to take the glossiness and place into the Alpha of the specular map. I used an RGB-A node to do this. The resulting map looks weird in SD as it contains alpha info, but it produces the correct map I need for the Unity shader.

Cheers,

Wes

the3dninja@adobe.com

Hi Wes,

I'm teaching a texturing now, and in the spring of 2015 and am really wanting to teach them how to texture with PBS using Painter. The game engine we use is Unity. Could you go over how to use substances with Lux in more detail? For example, where do you place the roughness texture in Unity?
Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 01:56:26 pm

Hi Wes,

I'm teaching a texturing now, and in the spring of 2015 and am really wanting to teach them how to texture with PBS using Painter. The game engine we use is Unity. Could you go over how to use substances with Lux in more detail? For example, where do you place the roughness texture in Unity?

Hi,

Are you using the Lux shader? I'm not familiar with the Lux shader with Substance. From what I understand, they have a system for using Substance along with a custom Substance Designer shader you can use.

If you are using Unity 5, roughness is referred to as smoothness. Its placed in the alpha of the specular map. The smoothness map is inverse to the roughness. The smoothness map is more like the glossiness map in our spec/gloss PBR workflow.

Cheers,

Wes
the3dninja@adobe.com