Author Topic: Backing up and Restoring Preferences  (Read 102 times)

Hi there,

Something that I think is very unclear and are an issue for me are preference backups.

So far I am only aware that the registry holds all the preference data. Is this correct? According to this, is this where things like UI layout are backed up? Is this the only way of backing them up?

https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/application-preferences-location-147095594.html

Every time there is a new update for Substance Designer/Painter the preferences for things like UI layout get wiped it seems.

My questions therefore are...

1. If I export the each program registry folder can I import it back and have my UI and other settings restored without conflict between the new program version and old?

2. If there are conflicts will I be aware of them, or will the program just break?

3. Generally how would you go about restoring as many preferences as possible in one go, if the registry method is not the correct method?

I ask this because setting everything up again after each (very frequent) update is a real pain and doesn't help with muscle memory when having to look for palettes that are in different places.

Thanks so much for reading :)

Regarding your last point :
I ask this because setting everything up again after each (very frequent) update is a real pain and doesn't help with muscle memory when having to look for palettes that are in different places.
What do you have to setup after each update ? Your preferences shouldn't disappear when you update.

1. If I export the each program registry folder can I import it back and have my UI and other settings restored without conflict between the new program version and old?

2. If there are conflicts will I be aware of them, or will the program just break?
You can export the registry key and reapply it later yes, however the data stored into it is versioned and sometimes Substance Painter will have to update it.

3. Generally how would you go about restoring as many preferences as possible in one go, if the registry method is not the correct method?
For the moment that's not something we properly support. I don't have better to suggest than adjusting the preferences inside the application.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.