Author Topic: Tablet Issues after 2019.3.x update  (Read 4194 times)

Wacom Intuos 5 Touch PTH-650
Driver 6.3.38-2
Windows 10
Issue: shortcuts pressed while painting display in a text box under the cursor. It's distracting.
Unfortunately we can't do anything about it, it's Windows which chooses to display it and doesn't offer a setting to disable it.

(part of the issue with Windows Ink is not even the gif capture was seeing the mouse movement, windows is actually failing to send mouse dragged/moved events. after i click i'm dragging the slider, you only see it in the when if finaly starts to move.)

Hi Team,
Im having the same issue with the Wacom Intuos Pro PTH-660 in windows 10. In my case, I believe the issue is with high resolution monitors, I currently have 4K monitor. My other applications are working fine with the tablet, is just substance painter that Im having issues with.
We have fixed the issue in our internal build regarding the drag issue with sliders, a new bugfix will be available within the next weeks and will take care of the problem.

Thanks. However, I use my tablet in mouse mode, so there is no option. But if I change to pen mode there is a Windows Ink option and it was/is enabled and pressure sensibility also doesn't work in this mode in SP2.
We have a Wacom Intuos Pro M (PTH-660) here with identical drivers and don't have pressure issues on our side. Indeed the Windows Ink setting is not available in Mouse mode, however you should still be able to get pressure. Did you make sure to restart the application when you changed the setting ? Can you try to go back to pen mode, enable Windows ink, then go back to mouse mode ?

1. Have the same issues with the sliders.
2. Right click shows circle and slows down everything.
3. Scroll selecting and draging is nearly impossible without finding right pixel to catch.
4. Windows ink is killing performance in other softwares and turning it on only to paint in substance seems too much.

Sorry guys but changing system without actually checking it and making sure it is working is wrong. I know Adobe is using it in their software but they don't care about users. Everyone I know hates windows ink, finds workarounds or simply don't use their software.
Video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SE86Z_LOOl8biY2IAfpRmJhw_YTrP_jS/view?usp=sharing
For sliders, see my previous answer.
In your video you have the Windows Ink setting "Let me use my pen as a mouse in some desktop apps" disabled. This setting must be enabled. Make sure to configure Windows Ink as the documentation explains. See: https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/configuring-pens-and-tablets-188974256.html

If Windows Ink is an issue, you can create a profile in your Wacom drivers settings to only enable it for Substance Painter. I updated the documentation to cover that case.

"We can't do anything about it", bullshit ! Don't remove wintab option, this is supposed to be a professional tool ! not a hobbyst crap that forces the worst option upon the users.

Explain to us how obligatory windows ink for pressure helps anyone? Most software work with both, because they are PROFESSIONAL TOOLS, how can't be the case with substance? it is 2020 and you guys didn't even implement simple stuff like geo hiding and cross UDIM painting...Wouldn't be surprised if this Windows Ink joke is related to the Adobe move, but then again, photoshop works flawlessly without it if you create a workaround .txt...
Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 06:39:30 pm

Disappointed to hear it'a a windows thing. Mari, zbrush, photoshop all work fine with pressure and not showing the hotkey. I guess they use wintab instead of windows ink.

Looks like I'm sticking to Mari for the time being.

Yea, it's still happening on my Intuos Pro with latest drivers. Would love an option to disable Windows Ink. As much as I like Photoshop brushes in Painter, it's not worth the headache. 

Can't disable the modifier key pop ups, and the sliders don't work even with the recommended settings...just like Photoshop.

Can we at least get the reasoning behind this decision? Most professionals are using Wacom tablets for work. What demographic is being served with this move?

There are tons of other tablets brands out there and the switch allowed us to support those better while keeping the compatibility with Wacom tablets. As Froyok said, the slider lag issue is being fixed and we're looking at how we could mitigate the other remaining issues.

Thanks. However, I use my tablet in mouse mode, so there is no option. But if I change to pen mode there is a Windows Ink option and it was/is enabled and pressure sensibility also doesn't work in this mode in SP2.
We have a Wacom Intuos Pro M (PTH-660) here with identical drivers and don't have pressure issues on our side. Indeed the Windows Ink setting is not available in Mouse mode, however you should still be able to get pressure. Did you make sure to restart the application when you changed the setting ? Can you try to go back to pen mode, enable Windows ink, then go back to mouse mode ?

I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it and now pressure sensibility only works in pen mode but not in mouse mode.

I uninstalled the driver and reinstalled it and now pressure sensibility only works in pen mode but not in mouse mode.
Alright, I will get in touch with your directly then and we will try to reproduce that.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

I was active on the other topics about it and rejoin here.
just to read what comes out at the end. Because activating thepen to mouse option does Not fix the slider lag.
Iam on a wacom Cintiq QHD 27" as statet in postings before..Latest everything (nvidia,SP,Wacom - drivers).
Eagerly awaiting whatever fixes you have- also regarding the NOT mapable shortcuts (the other topic).
Log files were uploaded in the other topics.
Peace,
Daniel

Both the shortcut bug and the slider lag will be fixed in our next bugfix version. The current target release is for this week.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Please for the love of all that is holy add an option to use either WinTab or Windows Ink. It can't be that hard when even a program like Clip Studio Paint that costs once as much as one month of a Substance subscription costs can do it. Devs need to stop trying to spoon feed what they think is right to their (paying) users. When it worked for Wacom tablets before with WinTab why are you forcing us to use something as broken as Windows Ink - even the Microsoft representative who wrote the reddit post linked in the other thread post admitted it's "not working as intended".

Obligatory Wacom Intuos Pro M, driver 6.3.38-2,
Substance Painter, version 2019.3.2 Build 3660 - 2e4690667e89706e90888d59c71214e37f6cb816

Having the basically unusable slider issues as mentioned several times already (among with lots of other complaints about questionable design choices that shouldn't occur in paid software but that's a story for another day).

We just release an new bugfix version that fix the issue related to the dragging of sliders: https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/version-2019-3-188973873.html#Version2019.3-2019.3.3
-----------

Nice, at least now we can actually use our tablets again. Now all that's left is that you give your paying customers the choice of which tablet API we wanna use instead of force feeding us this Windows Ink bullcrap and we'd be golden and I could actually recommend this software to others.

Also it doesn't really look like you actually fixed the problem but instead just did some workaround: https://gfycat.com/CookedNaiveCrane
There's still a noticable delay when dragging sliders or scrollbars with vs without windows ink enabled.
Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 06:13:00 pm

Well, for me its two bugs, one is older (been there several versions already) and the other one is new, I already tried the tablet setup guide for windows Ink:

• right click button settings on the pencil dont work on windows ink setup, over the layer menu, it just shows that anoying circle. They do work on wintab, but if you switch, you regain buttons, but you lose pen sensivity :)

• color picking (from a color fill layer) just picks a black color out of the whole cintiq, since my tablet is setup as secondary monitor, if I switch it to be main monitor, color picking works on both monitors.

Well I could switch the tablet to be main monitor, but since I turn it on or off whenever I'm using it, its kinda anoying having to set your desktop up each time, so thats not a valid workaround for me :)

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24"
Driver ver. 6.3.38-2

Also it doesn't really look like you actually fixed the problem but instead just did some workaround: https://gfycat.com/CookedNaiveCrane
There's still a noticable delay when dragging sliders or scrollbars with vs without windows ink enabled.
We are aware of the last remaining tiny lag, it's a bit tricky get rid of it right now but we may be able to in a near future.

Well, for me its two bugs, one is older (been there several versions already) and the other one is new, I already tried the tablet setup guide for windows Ink:

• right click button settings on the pencil dont work on windows ink setup, over the layer menu, it just shows that anoying circle. They do work on wintab, but if you switch, you regain buttons, but you lose pen sensivity :)

• color picking (from a color fill layer) just picks a black color out of the whole cintiq, since my tablet is setup as secondary monitor, if I switch it to be main monitor, color picking works on both monitors.

Well I could switch the tablet to be main monitor, but since I turn it on or off whenever I'm using it, its kinda anoying having to set your desktop up each time, so thats not a valid workaround for me :)

Wacom Cintiq Pro 24"
Driver ver. 6.3.38-2
The color picking issue is in our backlog, as far I know it's unrelated to the Tablet changes we made.
Could you explain a bit further what you mean by the right-click button setup not working ? We didn't notice shortcut issues on our side.
-----------

Yes, sure! Thanks for awnsering.
I tried during the weekend several driver versions and resetting the preferences as well as creating new ones from scratch.

I've setup my Wacom pen to have secondary mouse clic on one pen button and central clic on the other one. Fact is, it works fine over the main viewport (manipulating the view for instance, panning, zooming, etc) but as soon as you try the same input(right clic) over the layer menu to maybe, add a mask, the input is taken as a long left mouse button clic (and drags the layer instead) It still works fine if I switch from the wacom preferences to use wacom driver instead of windows ink, but I can't use pen pressure on this mode anymore.

Oh by the way, I dont know if its useful for you, but SP crashes if you have setup different font sizes on different monitors and accidentally detach and move one panel to the other monitor :)