Author Topic: Tablet Issues after 2019.3.x update  (Read 7328 times)

Hello,

Please us this thread to report issues related to your tablet usage after updating to Substance Painter 2019.3.x.
Since this version, Substance Painter now use Windows Ink. To make things smooth and comfortable to use make sure to follow our configuration guide : https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/configuring-pens-and-tablets-188974256.html

If you still experience technical issues, make sure to :
- Explain in details the problem
- Provide the model, brand and driver version of your Graphic Tablet
- Attach a log file to your post, see: https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/exporting-the-log-file-128745475.html

We will be monitoring this thread to investigate any problems.
Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 02:21:24 pm
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

1) I use a Wacom Intuos M 2018 ( CTL-6100WL/KO-BX ) and pressure sensibility doesn't work. Newest ( and also tried an older one before ) Wacom driver 6.3.38-2 and Substance Painter 2019.3.1 and .3.2.
( I followed all the steps of your configuration article and restarted windows. )

2) Substance Painter really should support stroke opacity sensibility! This is the most used tablet sensibility option at all. So... please add this feature asap.

Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 04:29:45 pm

1) I use a Wacom Intuos M 2018 ( CTL-6100WL/KO-BX ) and pressure sensibility doesn't work. Newest ( and also tried an older one before ) Wacom driver 6.3.38-2 and Substance Painter 2019.3.1 and .3.2.
( I followed all the steps of your configuration article and restarted windows. )
Is "Windows Ink" enabled in your Wacom Drivers settings ?

2) Substance Painter really should support stroke opacity sensibility! This is the most used tablet sensibility option at all. So... please add this feature asap.
This is not the place to provide feature requests. You can use our feedback website of the feature request sub-forum for that. Let's keep the focus of this thread on the technical issues.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Where and how exactly do you think I should enable "Windows Ink" ?
Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 06:45:37 pm

Where and how exactly do you think I should enable "Windows Ink" ?
Looks for the "Use Windows Ink" checkbox in the pen settings when you are in the Wacom Tablet Properties window.
-----------

Well.. Wacom Tablets use Windows Ink by default. And I really don't see any option to turn it on.

We all hate Windows Ink ! Please give us option to use Wintab. You guys ain't making nothing "more comfortable"

My Issue is that I can't use pressure without Windows Ink !
Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 10:52:06 am

Well.. Wacom Tablets use Windows Ink by default. And I really don't see any option to turn it on.
Depending of the tablet model, the Windows Ink settings may be in a different section of the settings. Unfortunately I don't have an Intuos M to compare. Try to refer to Wacom official documentation.

We all hate Windows Ink ! Please give us option to use Wintab. You guys ain't making nothing "more comfortable"

My Issue is that I can't use pressure without Windows Ink !
Please refer to the first message in this thread on how to report an issue.
-----------

Wacom Intuos 5 Touch PTH-650
Driver 6.3.38-2
Windows 10
Issue: shortcuts pressed while painting display in a text box under the cursor. It's distracting.

I followed the link in the first post to get pressure working, this is the last hurdle.

My issue, when dragging sliders it doesnt respond till i move the pen far enough. never had this problem with WinTab. also the Alt Shift and Ctrl bubbles are infuriating, i think i know what buttons i'm pressing. please allow the option to use WinTab instead of Windows Ink like Adobe Photoshop. i hate fighting with windows to try and disable this silly stuff. Everything was fine before 2019.3 on my Intuos Pro M. Now it's unusable with substance 2019.3.x and i'm forced to use 2019.2 until this is resolved. most specifically the slider issues. shown here:
(part of the issue with Windows Ink is not even the gif capture was seeing the mouse movement, windows is actually failing to send mouse dragged/moved events. after i click i'm dragging the slider, you only see it in the when if finaly starts to move.)

Edit:

Here is some futher evidence to support what i'm talking about:

as you can see after i click it's only sending WM_POINTERUPDATE and you can see the values changing showing that i am moving the mouse pointer around...once the delta gets big enough it finally starts moving the slider and sending WM_MOUSEMOVE as shown here:

Wacom Intuos Pro PTH-660
Driver 6.3.38-2
Windows 10
Substance Painter 2019.3.0 - 1 - 2
All settings are configured as per the OP.

Last Edit: January 25, 2020, 03:31:59 am

it would be on the "Mapping" settings, "Pen" doesnt show the option

it would be on the "Mapping" settings, "Pen" doesnt show the option

Thanks. However, I use my tablet in mouse mode, so there is no option. But if I change to pen mode there is a Windows Ink option and it was/is enabled and pressure sensibility also doesn't work in this mode in SP2.

Wacom Cinitq 16
Driver 6.3.38-2 (up to date)
Windows 10
Substance Painter 2019.3.2

1. Have the same issues with the sliders.
2. Right click shows circle and slows down everything.
3. Scroll selecting and draging is nearly impossible without finding right pixel to catch.
4. Windows ink is killing performance in other softwares and turning it on only to paint in substance seems too much.

Sorry guys but changing system without actually checking it and making sure it is working is wrong. I know Adobe is using it in their software but they don't care about users. Everyone I know hates windows ink, finds workarounds or simply don't use their software.
Video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SE86Z_LOOl8biY2IAfpRmJhw_YTrP_jS/view?usp=sharing

JND

My issue, when dragging sliders it doesnt respond till i move the pen far enough. never had this problem with WinTab. also the Alt Shift and Ctrl bubbles are infuriating, i think i know what buttons i'm pressing. please allow the option to use WinTab instead of Windows Ink like Adobe Photoshop. i hate fighting with windows to try and disable this silly stuff. Everything was fine before 2019.3 on my Intuos Pro M. Now it's unusable with substance 2019.3.x and i'm forced to use 2019.2 until this is resolved. most specifically the slider issues. shown here:
(part of the issue with Windows Ink is not even the gif capture was seeing the mouse movement, windows is actually failing to send mouse dragged/moved events. after i click i'm dragging the slider, you only see it in the when if finaly starts to move.)

Edit:

Here is some futher evidence to support what i'm talking about:

as you can see after i click it's only sending WM_POINTERUPDATE and you can see the values changing showing that i am moving the mouse pointer around...once the delta gets big enough it finally starts moving the slider and sending WM_MOUSEMOVE as shown here:

Wacom Intuos Pro PTH-660
Driver 6.3.38-2
Windows 10
Substance Painter 2019.3.0 - 1 - 2
All settings are configured as per the OP.

Hi Team,
Im having the same issue with the Wacom Intuos Pro PTH-660 in windows 10. In my case, I believe the issue is with high resolution monitors, I currently have 4K monitor. My other applications are working fine with the tablet, is just substance painter that Im having issues with.

I have tried to play with the compatiblity settings in the application properties and I resolve one issue but generate another. First it was the cursor that started jumping and when I changed some settings it fixes the jumping problem but the sliders dont work normally as mentioned previously by @cara.di42. The pen pressure for the opacity does not work correctly either now. I have followed all recommendations from your website too.

Its more or less workable I guess, but would be great if you can fix this issue for the next version.
Attached my log file
Thank you very much!

Jose
Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 12:38:23 am
JND

Wacom Intuos 5 Touch PTH-650
Driver 6.3.38-2
Windows 10
Issue: shortcuts pressed while painting display in a text box under the cursor. It's distracting.
Unfortunately we can't do anything about it, it's Windows which chooses to display it and doesn't offer a setting to disable it.

Hi Team,
Im having the same issue with the Wacom Intuos Pro PTH-660 in windows 10. In my case, I believe the issue is with high resolution monitors, I currently have 4K monitor. My other applications are working fine with the tablet, is just substance painter that Im having issues with.
We have fixed the issue in our internal build regarding the drag issue with sliders, a new bugfix will be available within the next weeks and will take care of the problem.

Thanks. However, I use my tablet in mouse mode, so there is no option. But if I change to pen mode there is a Windows Ink option and it was/is enabled and pressure sensibility also doesn't work in this mode in SP2.
We have a Wacom Intuos Pro M (PTH-660) here with identical drivers and don't have pressure issues on our side. Indeed the Windows Ink setting is not available in Mouse mode, however you should still be able to get pressure. Did you make sure to restart the application when you changed the setting ? Can you try to go back to pen mode, enable Windows ink, then go back to mouse mode ?

1. Have the same issues with the sliders.
2. Right click shows circle and slows down everything.
3. Scroll selecting and draging is nearly impossible without finding right pixel to catch.
4. Windows ink is killing performance in other softwares and turning it on only to paint in substance seems too much.

Sorry guys but changing system without actually checking it and making sure it is working is wrong. I know Adobe is using it in their software but they don't care about users. Everyone I know hates windows ink, finds workarounds or simply don't use their software.
Video:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1SE86Z_LOOl8biY2IAfpRmJhw_YTrP_jS/view?usp=sharing
For sliders, see my previous answer.
In your video you have the Windows Ink setting "Let me use my pen as a mouse in some desktop apps" disabled. This setting must be enabled. Make sure to configure Windows Ink as the documentation explains. See: https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/configuring-pens-and-tablets-188974256.html

If Windows Ink is an issue, you can create a profile in your Wacom drivers settings to only enable it for Substance Painter. I updated the documentation to cover that case.
-----------