Author Topic: Meet MAT 2 - Meet SUSAN (by Timothee Maron)  (Read 1620 times)

Hi ! I will go for a MAT as Susan in Missing Link. I really enjoyed this movie and thought this character was perfect for this. I am really interested to see how to handle the fur with displacement.
I will try to share the process as much as possible !

Generalist TD
Framestore

Good start!

I finally found some time to work on it ! Still not sure if I will have the time to finish it before the deadline... but I already learned so much as it forced me to work with Painter in a very different way as I do usually. Here is the result so far, I will need to rework a bit all the cloth being more subtle but I definitely need a quick pass of everything before going into detailed and specific issue as I am not sure to even get the time to finish it.

I started doing a lot of R&D on what could be the best way to handle the fur. And will share with you my research.

First try, hand painting :
First test, as most of the creative work needs to done in Painter I started trying to sculpt the fur directly in Painter with displacement enabled, the result was not really concluding... as we definitely miss some smooth and move brush etc. Way too much time consuming solution.

Second try, scatter alpha :
Of cource an "easy" solution could be to create an tileable texture of few clumps with variations and everything and apply that in Painter, but it is definitely not the point of the challenge.
Second test was to make one alpha/clump in photoshop/zbrush and then scatter it on the mesh. However there is not really a way to do that with a randomise effect for each clump directly in Painter. So I tried to place them manually with the brush and planar projection. It was working but the question was how to get variation other than the basic jitter from the brush. For example color or roughness variation between each clump.

Third try, building a custom dynamic stroke brush :
So I dig a bit into the dynamic stroke feature of painter and found that you actually can control/customise it using designer. And so I went in Designer and after few research (https://docs.substance3d.com/spdoc/dynamic-strokes-172824987.html) I made a "quite" simple .sbsar file that allow you to scatter different input depending on the stamp index.
In other word, each time my brush in painter will be painting a stamp it will select a corresponding input. Adding that to the "random per stamp" feature in the dynamic stroke setting and you've got a brush that paint a random input at each stamp.

Here is the final result of the tool :

The really great thing about this dynamic stroke effect is that I can now make variation in any of the channels I want at the same time. So I made 5 differents color variations, roughness and height and then use them as input in the corresponding channel. I also added few user channel like a ramp going from the root to tip that I will use later when working on the lookdev using anchor point.

After resolving the variation scattering issue, I started painting it. I used some position, scale and angle jitter and was pretty happy that the brush alpha now have a "lighten max" blending mode otherwise it would have been a nightmare to get the fur clumps on top of each other !

This scatterBrushTool is really useful and even wondering why it is not there by default. I am now already using it at work on few other projects to get more variations when painting. If some people are interested, I am planning on maybe realease it after the contest.

Next step will be to add more global variations using anchor point generated with these channels and micro-detail feature in generator !
Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 02:07:19 pm
Generalist TD
Framestore

I really love how it's coming together!

Only few hours left... ! Here is the latest wip. I tried to start setup my final camera, lighting and post effect 

Generalist TD
Framestore

I really love how it's coming together!

Thanks a lot !
Generalist TD
Framestore

This is just... stellar work. Consider me intimidated by your entry.  :)

This is just... stellar work. Consider me intimidated by your entry.  :)
Thanks a lot !
Generalist TD
Framestore

Meet Susan (Mr. Link)
Here is my final entry for Meet MAT 2 contest ! It was definitely a big challenge. Using Substance Painter in a very different way than usual, from creating tool to tight deadline, but I learned a lot ! Will probably share more of the process ones the result will be out

Last Edit: February 05, 2020, 09:19:21 pm
Generalist TD
Framestore