Author Topic: Meet MAT 2 contest FAQ  (Read 11015 times)

FAQ

For more info, please refer to the contest page: https://magazine.substance3d.com/contest/meet-mat-2/

Which version of Substance Painter should I use?
We highly recommend using the latest version of Substance Painter (2019.3 or higher) to benefit from the latest features and get direct access to the latest version of the MAT scene in the samples. Note that you will be able to download the trial of our software during the contest (send a mail here if you need to renew it for the contest).
Versions of Substance Painter 2019.x are also authorized:

Where can I find the mesh for MAT?
If you have the latest version, you can find if in the template menu (File/Open template…). For older versions, you can find it here: https://share.substance3d.com/libraries/5904

Can I edit the mesh?
No: you can neither edit the mesh, nor add or remove elements. (Changing the UVs od each texture set is allowed)

Can I modify the mesh or change the pose of MAT?
No, you can’t for the official renders. If you feel inspired, you can still add some optional renders with different poses, but they won’t be taken into account by the jury.

Can I use shaders other than the original one?
No: you can only use the shaders available within Substance Painter (note: ‘shaders’ are not materials, and are available via the ‘shader settings’ panel).

Can I use emissive, subsurface, or other specific channels?
Yes, you can use any feature provided by default within Substance Painter

Can I use tesselation?
Yes, you can. Just make sure we can still recognize MAT (at least a little :) ).

Where should I make the render?
The official renders have to be made in Iray within Substance Painter. You are free to do more renders within Iray or any other application.

Which resources am I allowed to use?
You can use any resources from Substance Painter, and from outside (like alphas, .sbsar, and more). Just keep in mind that we are evaluating the creative process within Substance Painter: applying an external resource on the model might not be enough to impress the jury!

Can I use Substance Source or Substance Share materials in the process?
Yes, you can, but please keep in mind that they are only resources and that we are judging the creative process within Substance Painter.

Can I submit different models?
You can only submit one model.

Am I allowed to share my WIPs on the forum or social networks?
Yes, and you are encouraged to do so! Use the hashtag #MeetMAT2 to get spotted!

Is the contest international?
Yes it is.

Does the model have to be free of current IPs?
Each company has a different policy about the usages of their IPs, so we won’t take any official responsibilities on this topic. That said, if you get inspiration from a brand or a famous universe, make sure to mention it, and to remain creative (not just copy/paste an existing work) 

I submitted my model by mistake, and I want to change it: how can I proceed?
You cannot cancel a submission, but you can make a new one : we’ll take into account the most recent one.

What are the conditions to enroll as a student?
You have to be part of a learning institution, and to mention this when submitting your work.

Can I use other software in the process?
You can import resources from other software (.sbsar, alphas, and more), but the creative work has to be carried out in Substance Painter. You cannot sculpt the mesh in another software tool and import the details within Substance Painter via a height map. The official renders have to be done within Substance Painter.

What are the mandatory renders?
You have to make the cameras C1 and C7 from the ‘MeetMat’ scene.

What are rendering specs?
The ideal rendering resolution is 4k (4096 x 2160 pixels). If you feel your workstation is not powerful enough for this level of resolution, the minimum allowable resolution is 1080p (1920 x 1080 pixels).
Please watch the introduction video to get more information about rendering within Substance Painter.

Am I limited in the numbers of renders I can submit?
No. Just make sure to do the mandatory ones first!

I would like to do a video render: am I allowed?
You can, but this won’t be taken into account in the jury decision.
Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 04:02:24 pm

Hello Vicent Gault,

Sorry for disturbing you but I have two doubts about contest:
1- Could I use another software from Adobe, as Photoshop or Illustrator to produce masks, Stencils and patterns?
2- Could I produce a new exclusive texture in designer to the contest, if I don´t change MAT shape and use it in my project?

Thank you a lot,
Guilherme Marconi
Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 11:32:07 am

Hello Vicent Gault,

Sorry for disturbing you but I have two doubts about contest:
1- Could I use another software from Adobe, as Photoshop or Illustrator to produce masks, Stencils and patterns?
2- Could I produce a new exclusive texture in designer to the contest, if I don´t change MAT shape and use it in my project?

Thank you a lot,
Guilherme Marconi

Yes, you can create resources externally (materials, alpha, stencil, etc...) and import them.
Just remind that the jury will look at the creative work within Substance Painter : for example, you can't 'just' apply a material.

I know we can't pose or edit the mesh, but can we add models to it? (e.g. clothing or a hat).

I noticed that the mesh on the Substance Share page is the same as the one from Meet Mat 1. Do we use that same mesh? I only ask because the one in the competition page looks like it has extra bits on it.

EDIT: Seems like 4 weeks of 12 hour days has made me miss the fact that those are displacements on the model XD Ignore my comment above if it is the case XP
Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 04:08:20 am
ClifiProductions
Making content with passion

I know we can't pose or edit the mesh, but can we add models to it? (e.g. clothing or a hat).

No you can't

I noticed that the mesh on the Substance Share page is the same as the one from Meet Mat 1. Do we use that same mesh? I only ask because the one in the competition page looks like it has extra bits on it.

EDIT: Seems like 4 weeks of 12 hour days has made me miss the fact that those are displacements on the model XD Ignore my comment above if it is the case XP

The old mesh is still available on Share: if you download it from share, make sure you are using the one Called Meet MAT 2
https://share.substance3d.com/libraries/5904
Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 11:13:45 am

Hi

My previous maintenance of Painter (and Designer) ended 2 months ago. I tried to download the latest version 2019.3.1 through the launcher for the MeetMat 2 contest, but when trying to select 'evaluate the product' at launch I get an error "There's an issue to contact our server (status 500)..." while using my allegorithmic account credentials.

I tried to use www.substance3d.com/contact to send you an email but I get a 'The captcha wasn't entered correctly' error where there's literally no captcha on the page...

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thank you!

Hi,

I don't find "the MeetMat scene" to have cameras C1 and C7 for renders  :(

4. Submission must include two Iray® renders using the camera included in the ‘MeetMat’ project.
You have to make the cameras C1 and C7 from the MeetMAT scene. Ideal rendering resolution: 4096 x 2160 pixels. minimum resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels.
Up to 3 additional renders can be included as well. Make sure to have a look at the rendering guideline section to get the best results.
Maxime Dotremont - 3D Artist
My ArtStation

Hi,

I don't find "the MeetMat scene" to have cameras C1 and C7 for renders  :(

4. Submission must include two Iray® renders using the camera included in the ‘MeetMat’ project.
You have to make the cameras C1 and C7 from the MeetMAT scene. Ideal rendering resolution: 4096 x 2160 pixels. minimum resolution: 1920 x 1080 pixels.
Up to 3 additional renders can be included as well. Make sure to have a look at the rendering guideline section to get the best results.

Did you check "import cameras" when setting up the scene?
Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 11:06:07 am

Ho yeah, thank you !
Maxime Dotremont - 3D Artist
My ArtStation

Hi, is it necessary to post our WIP's in the forum thread?

Hi, a few days ago I sent a contact form to ask about a trial extension to participate in the contest, but haven't gotten a response. Is it an issue that it would be my second trial extension? ( I participated in the last contest).

Hi, is it necessary to post our WIP's in the forum thread?
It's not necessary but appreciated by the community (+ it's a good way to show you had an idea 'first'  ;D)

Hi, a few days ago I sent a contact form to ask about a trial extension to participate in the contest, but haven't gotten a response. Is it an issue that it would be my second trial extension? ( I participated in the last contest).

Do you have the following number? if not please make the request again, it should work (also double check that it is not already in your licenses)