Author Topic: Meet MAT 2 contest FAQ  (Read 10890 times)

Quick question, for the final render, can we export our textures from our painting project at 8k and then apply them to the mat model inside substance painter for the final render? It would still be rendered in iray in painter, just after exporting the textures and bringing them back in. Although I'm not sure if iray within painter supports 8k textures, so maybe this wouldn't even work.

You could (try), but keep a version of your spp with your working files as well.

Hi,

I have a question about the rules about
> 2. You must use the default Substance Painter shaders.

Is the default shader only means pbr-metal-rough?
Can I use the shaders that included with Substance Painter, such as pbr-car-paint or pbr-metal-rough-anisotropy-angle?

Thank you!

You can use all the shaders that are available within SP

Is it possible to feed maps I created manually without baking to the mesh maps slots? Or it's must be only low poly mesh baked maps in there?

Thanks

As the creative work has to be made within SP, I think it won't work... What did you have in mind exactly?

Hi, can we change the aperture and focus distance of the two mandatory camera ? (C1 and C7)
And second question, can we use a background hdri for the final renders (including the mandatory cameras) or do we have to only use the uniform color option ?

Thanks

yes you can change all of this

Hi all,

Just a quick question, I am recent graduate I graduated last June 2019 from Uni, do I get participate as a student or on the open category?

Thank youu

If you are not a student anymore --> General category ;)

Is it possible to feed maps I created manually without baking to the mesh maps slots? Or it's must be only low poly mesh baked maps in there?

Thanks

As the creative work has to be made within SP, I think it won't work... What did you have in mind exactly?

I was planing to export a map of the height I'm creating in painter and then, import it back and feed it to height slot instead the low res mesh baked one... just wanted to make sure it isn't against the rules

Is there a maximum texture size you can use ? the default in the source mat file is 2k

I want to reply to my own post but after pressing 'Post' button I get '413 Request Entity Too Large' error or just page can't be loaded.
3D Artist

Downscaled the image and it worked
3D Artist

Is there a maximum texture size you can use ? the default in the source mat file is 2k

There are no maximum as long as your workstation can handle it ;)

Thanks

I was planing to export a map of the height I'm creating in painter and then, import it back and feed it to height slot instead the low res mesh baked one... just wanted to make sure it isn't against the rules

You can do this, as long as we can check they have been made within SP (keep you working files ;))
Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 10:31:49 am

I have question about the schools portion.

"If contestants are currently enrolled in a university or academic institution worldwide, competing students, as evidenced by their ID student card, will need to submit only one artwork and will be accordingly deemed to represent their academic institution for the contest."

Can you expand on and clarify this?  Our school has many students working on it.  When they all submit their work (along with their school ID), is each submission treated separately for the student competition?  Would the winning school only one be chosen based on the work of one of those submissions?

Some colleagues are reading it that only one student per school can make a submission to the Student category.

Thanks!

Hi!
Two questions
1. What to do if my Mat is not fiting in the shot because of displacement. Should I move the camera back or keep the camera and cut the Mat?
2. Can I put the render in to photoshop to add background/merge lights layers?

I have question about the schools portion.

"If contestants are currently enrolled in a university or academic institution worldwide, competing students, as evidenced by their ID student card, will need to submit only one artwork and will be accordingly deemed to represent their academic institution for the contest."

Can you expand on and clarify this?  Our school has many students working on it.  When they all submit their work (along with their school ID), is each submission treated separately for the student competition?  Would the winning school only one be chosen based on the work of one of those submissions?

Some colleagues are reading it that only one student per school can make a submission to the Student category.

Thanks!

Hey, there is (obviously) no limitation on the number of students per school who can participate.
They just have to post their entry, add the name of the school and that's it.

What we will do is take the 3 best-rated students of each school to make the school ranking ;)

Hi!
Two questions
1. What to do if my Mat is not fitting in the shot because of displacement. Should I move the camera back or keep the camera and cut the Mat?
2. Can I put the render in to photoshop to add background/merge lights layers?

1: yes you are allowed to zoom out in this context
2: yes you can for this purpose, an long as MAT visual is not changed in photoshop (like adding details, logos, etc...), and no paintover
Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 04:22:58 pm