Author Topic: Artifact shows up when painting is being done.  (Read 10436 times)

The current driver version is 344.48
I may update them to the latest and see how it performs.

I have found that the issue seems to stick to a layer. I have had it a few times with both layers that I had been working on previously with no issue and contains texture/paint information on them, and some that are brand new and added with no changes made. It does not seem to matter what settings are on the layer or what layers are before and after it, they just seem to break when painted on. Moving the layer into a different order also does not fix it. It seems avoiding the layer and making a new one does allow you to continue but this can be unfortunate if you where halfway through working on the layer. I am unsure as to what is causing it and I come across the issue at seemingly random points.

Thanks

Hi,

I have updated my drivers but the issue remains. every so often a layer will decide not to paint properly and generate the black marks you see in the video. I have made another model and managed to texture without any issues. I am unsure as to what causes it or why it effects the layers/models it does, as it seems to happen randomly. I question if its something I do to the layer that breaks but it happens sometimes on new untouched layers, and I wondered if it was the models but it does not always repeat if I start again.

Can you attach a screenshots of the artifacts ?
Also can you provide your full hardware specifications ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

I have posted a video of the issue and my hardware specifications a couple of posts before. Is there any spec in particular you need to know?

I have grabbed a few more screenshots showing the full window and the layer in question. The first is before painting on the layer, the second is after, the third is all other layers hidden and the fourth is a different angle.

It definitely seems to be a broken layer. It has happened a few times before on both layers being worked on and brand new ones like the one shown. Hope it helps.

Sorry, I got confused in my previous post. :)

Some more questions if you don't mind :
-Do you run additional applications on the side of Painter ? If yes, which one ?
-Does the artifacts happen always the same way ? Say for example you paint on a project, close without saving, re-open it, and re-paint again exactly the same way, does the artifact looks exactly the same or is there variations ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Sure, anything that helps :)

I usually have Firefox or Chrome up as well as Steam and avast (often in the background). I don't run anything that directly effects painter that I know of.

The markings on the texture remain the same every time I paint the same on the layer, even after closing without saving what I had done before. However I do notice that it matters where I paint on the layer. If I paint a tiny line on only a small part of the model, only some of the markings show, if the paint covers more of the model, more of the model gets the artifact, but the final shape of the marking remains the same. It gives the impression that it is filling in UVs with black, but looking at the 2D texture, its placing rectangles/squares of black over the whole image regardless of UV shells.

Below is a video that shows what it looks like in the 3D window, and then the 2D. You can see the rectangles passing over the whole image, as well as building up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8uj3hSC2WU&feature=youtu.be

I also tested the layer by changing the projects model to a different one and the same layer still makes black boxes over the model. So I'm not sure it can be UV related.

Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 05:43:22 pm

Thank for the info.  ;)
An user send us a workaround meanwhile, can you try it ?

1. Created a fully black brush alpha and place it on a new brush. (A copy of the standard brush)

2. Create a new standard layer. Before painting any strokes on it, switch to this "blank" brush and make it very large.

3. Paint a huge invisible stroke all over the canvas with it. No painting is visible. That's normal.

4. Now switch back to any other brush of any size, you can paint normally.

-----------

I tried the method and unfortunately it does not work.
The work around I tried that rid the marks is a simple case of deleting the layer altogether, ignoring it or painting until the 'entire' layer is filled with the pattern (until it will not paint anymore) and then simply erasing the black marks. However, having tried the latter I found that the broken layer broke again so it is probably worth ignoring/deleting it and not taking the risk.
Sadly all these methods mean erasing the layer of its contents and as this issue can trigger midway through working on a layer (which happened the first time I encountered it) It can be quite a setback depending on how much painting and work was done before the marks appeared. I am also unsure if there is any link, but all times this has happened, it seems was after a save. As I save often, I am unsure if this only happens after the save, or it can happen whenever and I simply discovered it after but I have never had it on a brand new project, only layers that existed or were created after a save have broke so may be worth mentioning.

As an issue it is a very minor one as in most cases a broken layer can simply be avoided, but due to the chance of lost work I thought I should keep you up to date with problems behavior.

*Edit*
Oh the chances, I take it back, I created a brand new layer and it broke as I tried to paint on a project that has yet to be saved. I simply deleted and made another layer that was fine but saving obviously has no effect on its chance.
Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 08:58:52 pm

i have the same problem :'(

1. Created a fully black brush alpha and place it on a new brush. (A copy of the standard brush)

2. Create a new standard layer. Before painting any strokes on it, switch to this "blank" brush and make it very large.

3. Paint a huge invisible stroke all over the canvas with it. No painting is visible. That's normal.

4. Now switch back to any other brush of any size, you can paint normally.

it works for me  :D

ditto on the problem - I get the artifacting when i either paint or erase on a new layer - GTX 460 video card

ditto on the problem - I get the artifacting when i either paint or erase on a new layer - GTX 460 video card

Hi,

I think the devs are already looking at this thread, but I will alert them to these posts so they can see the issue. Can you post a screen shot of the problem?

Cheers,

wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi,

The devs are looking into this issue, but we are having trouble replicating the issue, so its taking more time. We are working on it.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi wes,

I am trying to think of ways to help replicate the problem. It seems to be very inconsistent, I will be perfectly fine hand painting coloring or erasing on a new layer, and then when I get to an angle it starts to do it. Start inserting solid black squares, once again I am thinking its picking up the alpha square of the brush as a background color and filling it? Seems like a viewport GPU error. I am working on trying to record a video of it happening so I can show you instead.

*Update - So, though I have managed to make it happen with out messing with flow, In this one instance it only starts to happen when i seem to modify the flow. I would use the Spot spray, paint normally with 100 flow, then i proceed to undo that, and try with a lower flow of 10-20, and make the brush bigger, start to paint and sure enough it starts to happen soon after that.
Last Edit: June 23, 2015, 10:19:51 pm

I also have this problem and have had it since last year. I downloaded Painter 1.4.1 yesterday and I have the latest drivers on my card.

The issue is exactly the same as others have stated. I start painting somewhere and suddenly large black squares appear near where I'm painting. The occurence, size and location seem to depend on the layer and the brush size, so I end up creating lots of layers as each one seems to have a different 'no go' zone. Really annoying as I can't merge layers and end up with a mess. The artifacts also remain if I save the file and reopen.

Let me know if you need any info. My system is a Toshiba laptop with a i7-2630QM CPU and a dual Intel HD graphics/Geforce GT540M (forced use always).

Cheers, and loving using Painter and Designer!

William