Author Topic: Artifact shows up when painting is being done.  (Read 10414 times)

Hi~ :)

When I paint a color on my model, sometimes a weird effect follows automatically.
I've attached an image helping you see what happened.
The dark color is the artifact I said.

I need a way how to fix this issue. Thanks in advance.
Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 01:53:39 am

Does this happen when you use a Fill layer?
Could you share a project that features this error?

I've posted other images showing the issue and also the project file.
Thanks for your help :)

I solved this problem manually.
Actually erase brush has been used for removing the artifact.
Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 03:36:44 am

Here is an another image showing the same issue.

1 => I tried to paint on that part.
2 => And the artifact followed.

Hi,
I'm getting the exact same issue  :(, I find it happens for me when I select a brush stroke and enlarge the brush size. When small the artifacts do not appear when painting but when when larger I get the same black marks on my texture, usually at the top and the bottom of the model.
Any answers to this issue would be great.

In my case, no matter how large the brush size is, it appears often. I don't see any regularities. And eraser tool doesn't work for this.(Eraser also can makes artifacts.)
I have two options now.

a. Use mask to hide artifacts. (I think doing paint on mask layer doesn't make artifact.)
b. If artifacts appear overlapping important parts so can't mask them, I delete the layer and create new one.

I really want this issue to be solved.
Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 02:09:55 pm

I tried to repro your issues but I can't get any artefact.
Could you attach a sample project where the issue just happened and is visible please along with the log?
The log can be found there: C:\Users\...\AppData\Local\Allegorithmic\Substance Painter
Thank you.

The top layer which has name 'Artifact' has the problem.
I've attached the project data and log as well

By the way, I have a quick question. I'm working with 1k resolution mode for 2k and upper mode make delay. So my question is what pc components play for 2k mode working with no dely? Actually I'm planning to buy a new pc :)

I appreciate with your help.

The artefact disappear when SP regenerate the project when I open it on my side after a few seconds, so it may be hardware related?
One last thing I'll ask of you is your dxdiag file, so we can pinpoint the issue asap.

We have my dxdiag here :)

I would gather the issue is indeed hardware-related; I get similar artefacts sometimes when working on my projects. They appear randomly when using different aspects of the program and don't disappear until I reload the project. My artefacts include hazy distortion across either of the layers (diffuse, height, metal, roughness), black areas and discolouring. I'm using a Mac though - maybe unrelated (OpenGL related as opposed to DirectX).

I would gather the issue is indeed hardware-related; I get similar artefacts sometimes when working on my projects. They appear randomly when using different aspects of the program and don't disappear until I reload the project. My artefacts include hazy distortion across either of the layers (diffuse, height, metal, roughness), black areas and discolouring. I'm using a Mac though - maybe unrelated (OpenGL related as opposed to DirectX).

HI,

Can you post a screen shot of the artifacts you get? I'm on a Macbook Pro Retina (mid 2012) NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB. I don't have any artifact issues.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi,
Sadly I am still having this artifact issue. I originally thought it was due to the size of the brush but as the others stated it is not. It appears to be when I paint on certain parts of the model. This did not occur earlier, but randomly at some point decided to start with this model so I decided to record and place it here via a YouTube link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emX3CRDGkyE&feature=youtu.be

As you can see it actually adds the black marks to the texture and can even be painted on. It is a strange issue.

My hardware is:
Windows 7
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

Thank you and I hope it helps,
Chris

What nVidia drivers version do you have ?
I tried to replicate this issue with a GTX 480 but was unable to get this artifact.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.