Author Topic: Metallic channel always 100% white  (Read 293 times)

Hello !

I noticed that when using the Bitmap To Material filter, by setting the Surface Type on Metallic, the Metallic PBR map becomes 100% white, no matter the starting texture configuration.

Is there a way to set a kind of threshold to filter the metallic PBR as it was on the older B2M ?

Thank you.

I dont know if its what you are looking for, but I mostly finish metal textures, by adding an metal finish Filter as last, and within that you can play around with Intensity and Roughness of metalness. You can also change Type of metal in Metal color mode, and define if its polished, natural......... in the finish type under.
Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 04:35:49 pm

Hello !

I noticed that when using the Bitmap To Material filter, by setting the Surface Type on Metallic, the Metallic PBR map becomes 100% white, no matter the starting texture configuration.

Is there a way to set a kind of threshold to filter the metallic PBR as it was on the older B2M ?

Thank you.

Hey Farmer, This is essentially correct as Metals have a fixed average for calculations on F0 (Fresnel at 0 degrees) and such in substance.

Common Dielectrics will use somewhere in the 2-5% range i believe substance hardcodes a 4% value to that.

Depending on the material you are using as your scan to begin with. in regards to metals, it's probably best to take it from a " Basic" scan of metal, then work in your additives like dirt and rust etc.

also keep in mind that metals that are fully rusted or painted for example are no longer dielectric so 'metal' wouldn't need to be chosen.

@Koppiman has also stated that using  'metal finish' gives a good controller for the metallic channel too.

:)

Hi Koppyman and Ty Xanders.
I definitely will try to add the Metal Finish and I'll let you know what happens. But I'm sure the solution is inside that filter...

Thank you really for your advices !