Author Topic: Few Questions (Shaders/Brushes/Materials)  (Read 1434 times)

Hi!

I'm new to Painter and honestly, I'm still using the trial version on my Mac before I buy it out. Coming from MARI, I love how Painter speed things up and I'd love to have both to work together, however, some questions came to my mind about Painter and I couldn't find the answer over the internet.

First, one thing that bothers me is the default shader, how can I for example, get a simple Phong Shader on it?

Second, it's about the brushes/alphas, to be honest, I did not have the time to check it out, but does painter accept PS brushes and ZBrushes alphas?

Third, how can I create my own materials? I got to test B2M too, the results are great, but it will export like 10+ images and no material/substance.
Using the player to "pack them together" does not seem to work, it will return me some error about ''no metadata''.
Any ideas?

Thanks!

zZzzZ...

Hehehe, at half past midnight I am sure many were sleeping already :D (just kidding)
I will try to reply at my best:
1) There is currently no Phong/Blinn shader, but I think it will be added soon. Also, considering how great their support is , I wouldn't be surprised if someone from allegorithmic will attach it here while we are waiting for an official release
2) To import photoshop and zbrush brushes, you will have to manually convert them in a format Painter can understand, like tga, png, etc.
3) That is something that baffled me too. You will have to use Substance Designer to manually import B2M images and assigning them to the right slots. You will later be able to export them as a single substance. I did a request here to ask for direct substance export from B2M3, you can upvote it if you want.

Substance Painter is a very young application, and there are still many things that are missing. But the core is there and Allegorithmic is moving very fast IMO. The purchase was a no-brainer for me.

Hi!

I'm new to Painter and honestly, I'm still using the trial version on my Mac before I buy it out. Coming from MARI, I love how Painter speed things up and I'd love to have both to work together, however, some questions came to my mind about Painter and I couldn't find the answer over the internet.

First, one thing that bothers me is the default shader, how can I for example, get a simple Phong Shader on it?

Second, it's about the brushes/alphas, to be honest, I did not have the time to check it out, but does painter accept PS brushes and ZBrushes alphas?

Third, how can I create my own materials? I got to test B2M too, the results are great, but it will export like 10+ images and no material/substance.
Using the player to "pack them together" does not seem to work, it will return me some error about ''no metadata''.
Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hi,

Thanks @mario.baldi for the great replies : )

Just a few things I can add...

For zbrush alphas, you can actually import the PSD file itself. Most of my zbrush alphas are PSD so I just import the PSD and it works. However, you will need to convert Photoshop brushes to a bitmap file.

As Mario mentioned, we don't have a Blinn/Phong shader yet, but its on the roadmap to be added. SP is currently only PBR.

Any ideas?

Here you could use SD as mario mentioned. You can create base materials as substances and then import the substance in Painter. You can also create materials in Painter. So if you export the outputs from B2M into Painter, then you can add these outputs to the appropriate channels on a material and save that material as a preset.

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

You can also create materials in Painter. So if you export the outputs from B2M into Painter, then you can add these outputs to the appropriate channels on a material and save that material as a preset.

Oh nice, I didn't think about that. Thank you Wes!