Author Topic: Normal map. Edges.  (Read 196 times)

Im having trouble making good hard edges in some places of my models. So i modeled a test model just to try and bake correctly.

This is one of other edges i get wrong.

However this one looks cleaner. Idk why this works and the other doesn't...

As you can see. 90% of the model looks good. I'm just having some edges that goes wrong.

I'm using one smoothing group for the entire mesh. And i'm using match by mesh name.
Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 02:35:42 pm

Can you provide the high and low poly mesh?

I loaded in your mesh but I'm confused on why you're taking a hard-surface high poly and baking it on a low poly with a single smoothing group and zero indication of any hard edges or edge support to match up. Also, is there a reason you need to even bake this? Hard surface meshes like this rarely need baking. I understand this is a test model but do you have something more complex to show where you're having an issue?

When I remove your smoothing on the low poly, it almost looks exactly like your high.

If you want good edges on a bake you need to pay attention to your UVs (edge padding - texel density - resolution), edge support (loops), and how you use your smoothing - weights, creases, ect...

Also consider altering your front and rear distance for baking - try increasing it. You can also look into using a cage. Some times you have to merge two different bakes and blend them. Essentially blending your bakes for non averaged normals and averaged normals.

I tried front and rear distance and nothing. Since i have good edges on some parts i don't think it could be the uv, usually i make all uv island the same size.

I'm really thinking that i should use max just to use the text tools, because it has an automatic smoothing groups from uv shells. So i don't have to die in blender separating all islands manually. Yes using more than 1 smoothing group value i think its the key for me.

And i know they look similar, but still, it coudn't do it.

Again, there are proper workflows for this and if you don't use the correct approach you'll always run into problems.

For example, I did nothing but re-do your UVs and add more padding and look at the difference on the edges without even adding better edge support.

Before:

After:

Also, in your FBX files you sent me they're not named correctly with the High and Low for proper baking when using Match By Name.

Oh yes, i'm sorry i forgot to rewrite the sides. Really my bad.

Alright so, its my uv, and by edge support you mean adding more edges to the highpoly ?

Oh yes, i'm sorry i forgot to rewrite the sides. Really my bad.

Alright so, its my uv, and by edge support you mean adding more edges to the highpoly ?

You need to add supporting geometry to the low poly.

More edges or chamfer/bevel ? I don't get it.
Last Edit: December 11, 2019, 09:31:06 pm

Could you please explain the add supporting geometry to the lowpoly part ?