Author Topic: Can't instantiate layer across texture sets if it has a mask?  (Read 65 times)

I'm trying to use the same base material across a couple of texture sets. I've created the fill on one texture set, and then used "Instantiate across Texture Sets" to use it on the others. However, it seems that if I have a mask on the layer, then nothing gets copied to the other texture sets.

Is this a bug? Or is this not supported?

You can only instantiate a layer with a mask if the mask is generated procedurally/ with a generator (mask will look the same as original) or with a fill effect (you can assign an image to the fill, but the instance/ mask will look different depending on the object/ UV layout).

Manually painted masks can't be instantiated. How would that work if the object you instantiate to has a different topology/ UV layout? How would Painter know how to apply the painted mask to a completely different object?
Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 09:14:04 pm

Well, I was hoping the mask was treated separately from the content of the layer. Such that the content could be used across several texture sets, each with their own (potentially optional) mask.

In this case, is there a recommended approach to using the same content across multiple texture sets, allowing for distinct masks on each texture set? Right now I don't see a way to keep the content between multiple texture sets synchronized.