Author Topic: How to work around the seam issue with multiple UV tiles?  (Read 196 times)

Unfortunately Painter still cannot paint seamlessly across UV tiles. I thought, well, let's work around that disability by combining the 4 respective 4k UV tiles into one big 8k tile - only to find out that another annoying restriction of Painter is that it can only handle UV with a maximum size of 4k.

So ... what to do? How do you guys get around the seam issue when texturing, say, a Daz Studio Genesis 8 model, where the head, the torso, and arms and the legs are in separate 4k UV tiles each? Any tips?

Thanks, S.

P.S.: Sorry for the strange user name - I tried to find a way to change it, but apparently the forum software does not allow this.
Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 06:56:59 am

Since painting across UVs isn't possible we just work with different texture sets per part. This is done by setting individual mat ids for each texture set. Or by creating different texture sets per UDIM on import into Painter.

You mean overlapping UV sets? That's actually an interesting approach. Thanks for the resonse!

You mean overlapping UV sets? That's actually an interesting approach. Thanks for the resonse!

I mean there are 2 approaches in Painter for working with more than one texture set.

You either create your own UVs and set them to different material IDs so when you import into Painter it will generate separate texture sets per ID.

Or you can have your own UDIM setup, but on project creation you will need to tick generate a separate texture set per UDIM tile.

You still cannot paint across tiles, but you can toggle the different sets.

Oh, I see what you mean - but that's exactly what I'm doing - and what I would like to find a fix for. Working on the individual UV tiles makes no sense when they are all part of the same human body skin texture. You cannot apply any procedural edits to the tiles without causing seams that way. Masking out the edges is no solution either (it avoids seams, but it still looks weird).

Thanks, S.

Oh, I see what you mean - but that's exactly what I'm doing - and what I would like to find a fix for. Working on the individual UV tiles makes no sense when they are all part of the same human body skin texture. You cannot apply any procedural edits to the tiles without causing seams that way. Masking out the edges is no solution either (it avoids seams, but it still looks weird).

Thanks, S.

Until they add in the feature to paint across tiles we're stuck working by texture set. I understand the struggle as I've had to work on bigger pieces outside of games.

There is no 'fix' for this. Right now, we are stuck with a 4k max resolution per TextureSet, and seams if we distribute the UVs of a single object across multiple tiles. There is no other way but to put the seams in places where they are least visible, or fix the seams after exporting the textures in 3DCoat or something.

All we can do is wait for them to implement painting across UDIM tiles. It was announced that they are working on this feature years ago, a few weeks ago I have seen an actual screenshot of the Painter UI showing the new feature. No idea when it will be released, might come in the next version 2020. Who knows. Its a long craved for feature for us all, no doubt about that.