Author Topic: Painter Crashes on Texture size change  (Read 2304 times)

Hi

I have a peculiar issue in painter in which when I change the texture size to 2k or above my display driver crashes. As far as I can tell I cannot recreate the issue with any other model even when they are more demanding such as higher poly. The sample projects work smoothly at 4k and when I specifically make a more complex model to test it (within reason) it has no problem working. Could it be the model?
The issue does happen even with earlier versions of it that are even simpler and I can't figure out what is causing it. It was created in blender, is there a known issue that can cause this that may be on my model?

I have checked that nothing else is in the scene as well as no history or modifiers. The uvs seem fine and the size is not large or out of the ordinary.

My Hardware is the following:

Windows 7
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

Thanks
Chris

Hi

I have a peculiar issue in painter in which when I change the texture size to 2k or above my display driver crashes. As far as I can tell I cannot recreate the issue with any other model even when they are more demanding such as higher poly. The sample projects work smoothly at 4k and when I specifically make a more complex model to test it (within reason) it has no problem working. Could it be the model?
The issue does happen even with earlier versions of it that are even simpler and I can't figure out what is causing it. It was created in blender, is there a known issue that can cause this that may be on my model?

I have checked that nothing else is in the scene as well as no history or modifiers. The uvs seem fine and the size is not large or out of the ordinary.

My Hardware is the following:

Windows 7
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

Thanks
Chris

Hi Chris,

That does seem weird. Are the other models created in Blender as well? If you create a new project, add a single layer and paint, does changing to 4K crash?

Cheers,

Wes
Head of Substance Demo Art Team
the3dninja@adobe.com
Twitter: The3DNinja

Hi Wes,
The models I tested where created in blender (apart from the sample projects) and I did not come across the issue. When a layer with any paint/texture is applied, when I up the resolution to 2k or 4k the program crashes along with my Display Driver. I have discovered that if the texture begins in 4k I can paint (albeit slowly) without a crash and applying a fill layer also causes no issues. Downgrading the size then upping it, or going back down, painting over on a lower res then upping it does not cause the crash as often.
 One of my test models (A sphere with an intentionally higher poly count) had no issues most of the time but I did manage to get the crash once or twice, but still seemed a lot more reliable. This was caused when raising the size to 4k like my main model but unlike it, not every time.

I am leaning towards it being a problem with what my computer can handle as I'm guessing starting at a 4k resolution then painting over time is less demanding than raising an entire texture, however I am confused as to why a model with a higher poly count can be more reliable, or why painting at 4k, lowering the resolution, painting over and then raising it again all at once does not crash.

I have updated the software and the issue remains

Thanks,

Chris

I have the exact same problem!

working with windows 10 (latest updates)
geforce gtx1080 (latest drivers)
and painter version 2018.3.3 (build 2900) (latest to this day)

model was created in blender and exported to fbx.
other projects work fine, only a certain project causes the crash (for all versions, previous versions that worked in the past).
even weirder - the project runs fine on other computers.
this problem happens with this project on this specific computer (unfortunately, this is my work computer and I can't change it).

steps I've done:

rolling back the driver
rolling back windows updates
reinstalling substance
opening the project on a different computer, saving a new version and opening the new version on my computer.

opening the project on a different computer, exporting all groups as smart materials, creating a new project on my computer and reapplying the smart materials on the model - This actually WORKED! until I tried upscaling the textures to 4k, which in return made my computer crash and restart, and now the problem occurs for all versions of this new project as well! as if something is corrupted in the project files, or log files or under the hood.