Author Topic: [Scene 3D] Failed to compute tangents; need UV data in channel0  (Read 413 times)

Hi I am trying to import an OBJ and I keep getting this error.

Can you attach the OBJ mesh ?
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

For some reason I can't attach it. Says site can't be reached when i try to reply with attachment.

Try downloading here -> https://adobe.ly/35gGfKs

I tested this for you and it gives me the same error.

I loaded your OBJ up and looked but couldn't find a UV map which is why you're getting this error.

This also appears to be a high poly version, do you have a low poly version by chance with a UV map?

I created the model in 3Dcoat and exported as obj with textures. I thought that would export with the UVs. I'll try to retopo and see how to create UV for it.
Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 04:46:48 am

I confirm, your OBJ mesh doesn't contain any UVs.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

Hi, I added UVs and imported the mesh successfully. Though it's tiny. Can I change the scale in substance painter?

Assuming you're asking about UV scale... You need to do that in your 3D modeling application. Just load it into Blender, select all, and scale to fill the 0-1 space, then export it out.

Actually I meant the mesh scale. I attached a screenshot. The mesh is in the center. Not sure what the particles surrounding it are. Must have been a mishap in my modeling. But the actual mesh is in the center. I have to zoom in alot in order to see the mesh. I am able to zoom in so the mesh can fill the screen, but no further.

https://imgur.com/a/FbhONBu
Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 04:13:45 am

Do that in your 3D modeling application. Make sure you apply all transforms before loading into Painter.

You can also press F to center it.

Those other objects are most likely meshes, but again... use your 3D modeling application to see what is going on.
Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 04:42:44 am

Do I have to set the scale in my 3D modeling application to the default scale of Substance Painter? For example: Let's say Substance Painter scale is set to meter while my mesh is set to cm or mm.