Author Topic: Tri Planar Projection Issue  (Read 161 times)

Hi,

Even using just fill layers and Tri Planar Projections, I'm getting UV seams all over the places. Am I doing something wrong or is this some kind of bug?

The following example is for normal + height, but it happens with all available channels.

What does it looks like in Material mode ?
Looking straight at a normal map doesn't mean anything if you don't take into account the UV islands rotations, because this will change how the normal is encoded.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Froyok aka Fabrice Piquet, Technical Artist and Product Designer at Allegorithmic.

Here is a final render (Maya), you can see the normal problem (bump a bit exagerated for better viewing). Tried OpenGL, DirectX, inversions, etc.

I didn't have such problem in previous Pianter versions.

Show your UV map please.

Here is the map (tried a larger size, would stuck forever 'uploading')

Was this manually marked and unwrapped or did you use an auto tool? This UV map is all over the place. You have tiny UV islands all around.

Is there anyway you can share the project file so someone can look more closely? It usually helps to either see the project or if people provide a high and low so we can bake and duplicate what you're seeing to answer.
Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 05:32:41 pm

Also, what renderer are you using ? This may be a shadow terminator issue.

Was this manually marked and unwrapped or did you use an auto tool? This UV map is all over the place. You have tiny UV islands all around.

Is there anyway you can share the project file so someone can look more closely? It usually helps to either see the project or if people provide a high and low so we can bake and duplicate what you're seeing to answer.

Yes, manually marked, auto-unwrap in 3D Coat. My main concern was to avoid distortions on the hull and get as large an area as possible in just one tile (knowing how close I would get the camera when rendering).

Those tiny islands are from details that I knew wouldn't be very visible.

Am I wrong assuming I don't need a top map when using just triplanar projections?

Also, what renderer are you using ? This may be a shadow terminator issue.

Using Renderman. Tried to improve quality settings, same result, will investigate how to improve the shadow terminator