Author Topic: A lot of issues in normal baking from 3Ds max, help!  (Read 3146 times)

Hey everyone,

I'm not new to 3Ds max and modeling but I'm new to optimizing for games and so I don't know all that much about normal maps, I'm trying to bake my high poly turbosmooth model onto my low poly model on substance painter and I'm getting really bad artifacts with weird coloring all over the place near every hard edge and soft edge transition, I've tried to play with smoothing groups for days now and changed the uvw of the low poly model a handful of times and I keep getting bad results, it seems like I'm not understanding a fundamental in normal baking, either that or my modelling is super bad for game purposes, either way I'm going to attach my 3Ds max files for both low and high poly along with images in this post showing artifacts in the baking process in hopes that someone can help, thanks 

Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 08:49:27 pm

Apparently I can't attach the 1.3mb high poly file...

Use googledrive or dropbox. Also include an FBX, not MAX file as we don't all use 3DS MAX.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

Use googledrive or dropbox. Also include an FBX, not MAX file as we don't all use 3DS MAX.

Ok here's the LP and HP as FBX on google drive, please note that the reason I'm doing this normal map is to add smoothing to the object from higher polycount and not details which I see normal maps mostly used for

Low poly https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Zcq5OZAAG2Zja9-72sep-b6mEYR8SLdW
High poly https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EHTMiFosMO8fK3lPKhfGqklagwALb_Lo

I only have time to take a quick look, but your mesh has parts which intersect. This will cause baking issues. You'll need to split the parts and bake by name _low _high.
I teach people how to use Substance Painter. :)

I only have time to take a quick look, but your mesh has parts which intersect. This will cause baking issues. You'll need to split the parts and bake by name _low _high.

Okay I'll try that, thanks