Author Topic: [Noob question] Exposing Designer parameters in Unreal material instances  (Read 1147 times)

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I've used Substance Painter quite a bit but am only just getting started with Designer and Unreal.

I'm working on a game project where we wanted to texture a lot of similar objects (sticks used throughout the level) and to optimize it, I converted them from a bunch of Substance Painter textures to one procedural texture in Designer. So now everything is running smoother because we're using one texture instead of 10-15.

However, we are wanting to have some control over the parameters I exposed in designer. I exposed some and I can edit them for the material which is working great, however I want to know if there's some way to change those in material instances instead of the whole material. I know that you can create another graph instance, but that generates more maps and we're trying to avoid that so we can save on cpu.

So basically, can I edit Substance Designer parameters in material instances in Unreal? For example, if I wanted to edit the color or some of the wear on some of the sticks in the level, could I make a material instance of my substance material and be able to access the parameters I exposed?