Author Topic: Download Links for Released Versions  (Read 8838 times)

What I will need to see is whether this actually does anything for internal rendering, or whether it is what's causing a further curve to be applied on the bake output function.

Yes, I think we understand each other, and I think this quoted section identifies one of the outstanding questions pertaining to the plugin, in addition to, possibly, bitmap filtering or bit depth, e.g. 8-bit vs 32-bit.

If I understand you correctly, the mix maps that are used in the shader graph generated by the Substance to Corona converter are not expected to be used again in the future (v7, Corona Renderer Physical Material) because they are an approximation that is not required given the new Physical Material supports metalness / roughness(?)

There are various filtering modes that 3ds Max handles, I'll need to look further into what they are.

Bit depth can be overridden based on the sbsar output, some aren't representable in 3ds Max, notably 16 bit floats.

Yes, the mixmaps for the most part should be unnecessary, there may be a care or two they'll stay. There is an approximation for metalness affecting certain inputs to the Corona material. Since the new shader has two modes, one as PBR metal/rough and the other as PBR spec/gloss, we would never need to do that again, as we could determine the usage based on the outputs available and so would never be connecting a metal/rough sbsar to a spec/gloss shader, like we are now. We would pick the metal/rough mode for an sbsar with that, and toggle to spec/gloss if we don't find the suitable outputs for metal/rough.
Software Engineer, Integrations
Maya, 3ds Max and Core Libraries

Based on your earlier comments, it sounds like you are contemplating an option to basically bake down the SBSAR in 3ds Max to a texture set and shader graph for that texture set - I think you've said that something like this is already possible in Maya(?)

We can add something that bakes the sbsar and its constituent outputs out to texture files, replacing the connections in the Slate material editor.

In Maya, the 'Substance to <...>' system is significantly more powerful. It can work on image files, from say Painter or Player, and not just the respective Substance graph node. It also has the ability to generate these from the Hypershade, where you can connect your own shader graph if there's a shader we don't support for example, and generate your own 'Substance to ...' tailored to your own needs.
Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 01:56:57 am
Software Engineer, Integrations
Maya, 3ds Max and Core Libraries

We can add something that bakes the sbsar and its constituent outputs out to texture files, replacing the connections in the Slate material editor.

I really can't tell you how much the 3ds Max community could benefit from this - a lot.

What are the prospects of getting a script that runs this operation for the Corona Legacy Material to tide us over until a complete solution is implemented?

one little script to rule them all...plz