Author Topic: Can't save into Google Drive File Stream  (Read 4652 times)

None of these work when I try to save to Google Drive File Stream from Substance Painter:
Save
Save and compact
Save as...
and the others

I just get this:

From Photoshop and Blender I can save over 1 GB files easily to the Google Drive File Stream, so I have a feeling there is something about how Substance save files.

To make things weirder, my co-worker can save to Google Drive File Stream from Substance Painter :/

I have:
Substance Painter, version 2019.2.2
Build 3345 - a6b29c1ebbfb9ebce485264aa334026b35f83a7f

He has:
Substance Painter, version 2019.2.0
Build 3242 - 7c01df656b0c7602185fd275de419c6c6347bf49

But no, I tried the 2.0 version and wasn't able to save again.

What can I do?

(As a workaround I can save file locally and move it to Google Drive File Stream folder, but that is highly agains our workflow and makes things complicated and unsafe (to not know which file is the latest))
Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 09:26:50 am

Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Thanks for the answer :)

Yes I had a look at that solution, but I was hoping for a really workable way to save my files. But why is it that my work mate can save his files?

The mystery of computers !  ;D
To be frank, I don't know, here the issue is related to how Google Drive handle files.
Don't forget your log file. It can be exported from the Help menu of the software.
-----------
Fabrice Piquet aka Froyok. Product Manager, Technical Artist and Documentation at Adobe.

Heh, thanks

But I don't know...

Blender and Photoshop can save over 1GB files to Google Drive File Stream
And Substance Painter can save without any glitch to Dropbox

To me it seems it could be something you could fix... hmm

Any progress on this issue? All of our art assets exist in google drive file stream except substance painter files which have to be copied over manually. Also just to be clear this is "Google Drive File Stream" which operates differently than the older "Backup & Sync" thing.
Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 01:02:36 am

This is still a pipeline-breaking issue for us. Especially with everyone working remote.

We have the same problem, and I think the "known issue" does not cover this. Google Drive File Stream is not a backup software, but a sync software. The article clearly mentions "Cloud Backup Software" which is something different.

It actually worked on Google Backup & Sync (the backup software), but does not with Drive File Stream. Its a major issue in my workflow - because having to save it outside and then move it to the drive every time I switch computers (so from home office to the company office) welcomes human error.

I have the exact same problem. Humongous C4D files and other things save without any issues however Substance fails every time.

Still no solution for this yet guys? I really want to continue using File Stream without having to save this to my desktop and manually move them. Don't want to mention the Q word but it seems mixer handles this just fine haha.

There won't be any solution. The issue is that any application that do cloud backup run concurrently with other software and can create conflicts like read/write protecting a file it is currently uploading/syncing and not letting the main application (like Substance Painter) working properly. I have other software who crash/stop working because Dropbox lock some temp files for example. So it's not only a Substance Painter issue.

This cannot be fixed by us because this is dependent on the speed of the system, cloud backup software and the hardware.

-----------

Hello Froyok,
I'm afraid this isn't quite true. Our company only recently (3 weeks ago) moved our art teams version control from Dropbox to google file stream. This was a company decision. We had absolutely no issue with saving files to Dropbox with Substance Painter for 2 years prior to this (on multiple different machine configurations, and multiple different internet connections).

Right now though, we can't even save a painter spp file outside of google file stream (ie.. the windows desktop) if that file is sourcing resources (like a zbrush normal map) from a google file stream path - please see the example_save.png beneath.
This is extremely disheartening.
Is there no plan from Adobe at all to address working with cloud backup/version control?

Appreciate your time.
D.

Sorry - missed the image it seems

This issue was a pain for me as well. I cannot imagine how hard this effects studios. Here is a small workaround for those of you who have to have backups or be able to access your files from anywhere or share with anyone with google drive.

You have no choice but to save your project files to a local folder something like:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Substance Projects"
or
"D:\Adobe\Substance\Substance Projects"

Saving this way seemed to work fine for me. Hopefully saving into the google drive is your only problem  ::)

I then mirrored my entire LOCAL project folder to my Google drive project folder.

How I automated this is with a simple Powershell file with the RoboCopy command then once I knew it worked I put this into my computers Task Scheduler to repeat every 5 min

This is what the Powershell file looks like

robocopy "YOUR LOCAL SOURCE  FOLDER" "DESTINATION FOLDER" /mir /r:1 /w:30

without those placeholders above it would look something like this.

robocopy "D:\Adobe\Substance\Substance Projects TEST" "S:\My Drive\06 - Substance Designer\Substance Projects TEST" /mir /r:1 /w:30

If you want more information about the Robocopy command take a look at this article which helped me out a ton.

How to use RoboCopy
https://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1073.robocopy-and-a-few-examples.aspx#:~:text=%235%20Mirror%20a%20directory%20with%20subfolders%20incl

How to make a Powershell file

Using Powershell you run this on a hidden window so it does not bother you while working. Hope this helps someone!
Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 09:57:11 am

I cannot believe the official stance is that this will not be fixed. In a world where people are increasingly working as distributed teams, supporting cloud drives is crucial.
Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 06:30:22 pm

I just wrote a simple javascript plugin that will force Substance Painter to save to a Google Drive Stream. This will be slower than a normal save because it is not incremental and it has to save the file twice due to plugin constraints... however, until adobe devs acknowledge that this is their bug to fix, this will have to do.

https://ipfs.io/ipfs/QmYxpU7egk5j6hK2iCmhSJkgN5EXcP4jcCibWoGhUUfmr4?filename=painterCloudsave.zip